Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The gold nazis lost...

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In " The last ditch" by David Lampe the following is mentioned:

" The Polish gold was smuggled out by Polish Army officers who returned to occupied Warsaw for that purpose, and the French Navy managed to get FranceĀ“s gold out. The Norwegians sent theirs out by several routes- in one instance getting small children each to load one box containing one gold bar on to a sledge in order to smuggle it past Nazi sentries and on to a small freighter lying at a berth in a northern flord."

Anyone got more details on these actions? Thanx!

2. WotNoChad?

WotNoChad? Member

Sure it was Poland?

cheers,

3. jemala

jemala New Member

Polska.JPG polska1.JPG Hi, everyone! These gold and copper slabs were found in the Red Sea in a sunken ship that comes from WWII era. Each slab is 20 kgs. As you can see from the report, it is 25% gold and the rest is copper. It is written "Polska" on the slab, so, I guess the origin is Poland. There are 400 of them. Any idea what this might be? All theories are welcome. Thank you!

4. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

It's gold-copper alloy, not gold - it's probably an industrial alloy.
    The Polish gold was pure, and in 1939 was orderly evacuated to Romania, then France, and in the end to Britain. Because of that, the story of the Polish officers is false.

5. jemala

jemala New Member

Yes, my guess is also that it was for industrial purposes, but if anyone knows what exactly? Electric industry? Coin production? Also, which factory in Poland it was produced? Where was it going? There were also pure gold with them.

6. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

From what I've googled colored gold is mainly used in jewelry, because of its various, desirable colors. According to this plot it is copper red alloy.
    Unfortunately "copper red" can't be googled because the results are polluted by women's hair products.
    Googling for "cooper red alloy" gives pendants and cutlery. I suppose it doesn't find much more uses, it's main quality is the pleasing to the eye color.

"Polska" can't be the name of factory, as a rule "Polonia" is used as in such cases.
    My guess is in Poland slabs like those were required to be stamped with the name of the country of origin, so it's in Polish. Maybe they were exported via sea ports of Romania, to Palestine for example.
    It's not an impressive amount of gold, maybe a Tesla or two worth in total, so actually even a small-sized Polish enterprise could have afforded it.