Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Great Escape

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Jim, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    The Great Escape. Based on a true story, a group of allied escape artist type prisoners of war are all put in an 'escape proof' camp. Their leader decides to try to take out several hundred all at once. The first half of the film is played for comedy as the prisoners mostly outwit their jailers to dig the escape tunnel. The second half is high adventure as they use boats and trains and planes to get out of occupied Europe.

[​IMG]

In 1943, the Germans opened Stalag Luft North, a maximum security prisonerofwar camp, designed to hold even the craftiest escape artists. In doing so, however, the Nazis unwittingly assembled the finest escape team in military history brilliantly portrayed here by Steve Mc Queen, James Garner, Charles Bronson and James Coburn who worked on what became the largest prison breakout ever attempted. One of the most ingenious and suspenseful adventure films of all time. ‘ The Great Escape ‘ is a masterful collaboration between director John Sturges, screenwriters James Clavell (Author of ‘ Shogun ‘) and W.R. Burnett and composer Elmer Bernstein. Based on a true story, ‘ The Great Escape ‘ is epic entertainment that ‘ entertains, captivates, thrills and stirs ‘.

Download The Great Escape Theme Music Here

2. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    This is one of my all-time most favorite movies and ive seen it at least 100 times over the years. November 7th at Cinemark Theaters they will be showing this classic on the big screen twice on that day--I dont know the exact showtimes for it but--the last time they showed a classic on the big screen here where I live--they showed: The Searchers with John Wayne, Ward Bond, Jeffrey Hunter, Harry Carey Jr, Hank Wardon etc--and it played (my time zone) at 2 Pm and at 7PM.

I also have a good number of original movie stills from this movie and if there is enough interest here? ill gladly see if I can find a way to get them posted here?