Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Iron Cross, Knight's Cross And Award Documents

Discussion in 'German WWII Medals and Awards' started by Jim, Sep 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    The medals shown represent the Iron Cross series of awards as re-instituted in September 1939. The Oak-Leaves, Oak-Leaves with Swords etc. were later additions. (1) is the Grand Cross and (2) is the Knight's Cross. (3) is the Iron Cross Second Class and (4) is the pin-back Iron Cross First Class. (5) is the 1939 Clasp for the 1914 Iron Cross First Class and (6) is the 1939 Clasp for the 1914 Iron Cross Second Class. (7) is an example of the preliminary certificate of possession for the Knight's Cross. This simple pre-printed document had the recipient's name and rank, and the date and place of award, typed into the relevant blank spaces. The awarding authority then signed the document and the ink stamp was applied to the lower left corner. The signature on this particular document is that of Kapitan zur See Ehrhardt on the staff of the Naval Personnel Department in Berlin. (8) is a fine example of a Knight's Cross formal award document, granted to Oberjager Johann Sandner. The fine calligraphy on this large, hand-made parchment vellum is mostly executed in dark brown ink, but the recipient's name and rank appear in gold leaf. This document was photographed in 1941 before completion and has not yet been signed, but will bear Hitler's signature at the foot. On the inside rear cover of the leather folder containing the vellum, the name of the artisan responsible for the binding (Frieda Thiersch) can usually be found, impressed in gold letters.

[​IMG]

2. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    Nice educational thread. I have many of these items in my tiny collection. One day ill try getting them shown here. Two of the 39s not in my collection are: the Knights Cross as well as the Wiederholungsspange 1st Class. However, I do have a 39 Wiederholungsspange 2nd which is on my Arty Officers tunic and I have a Wierderholungsspange 1st class-1957 issue. I also have a 1957 issue Cased Knights Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords & Diamonds which was made for one of the LW Diamonds Recipients-who did not serve in the Bundeswehr. Also, I have a spare 1957 Rk and a Spare pair of Oaks as well as a spare pair of Oaks with Swords.