Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Last Christmas of III/ Sicherungs Regiment 195

Discussion in 'Trench Art' started by Skipper, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I hope they had a great Christmas! This plate was especially made by Quimper ceramics in December 1943 for the mentionned Regiment (Stab) . I supposed it was actually used by the man who received it as a present (it has dents and sratches). I paid a little fortune for it, but considering it's quite unique and that this unit was actually based in Britanny in 1943. It's a great relic
    . It was heavily hit in June /July 1944 after D-Day and Brest and the survivers of the unit were dispatched in other units after Regiment 195 was disbanded.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Natman

Natman Member

While I'm not a collector, this is really cool. Sounds like it was also the last Christmas for many members of the unit. I would imagine this is quite rare.

Can you tell me what type of unit this was?

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It was Wehrmacht . They were employed for occupation duties in Bretagne (Atlantik wall, daily duties, anti Partistan raids etc... ) They had a pretty decent life until 1944 when their lives suddenly became hell (Resistant attacks, Allied bombings , Allied troops advancing to Brest, FFI units harassing their retreat....) I suppose they ended up being cornered with some elements getting to the pockets, others trying to get east through Falaise . Many were KIA , MIA, WIA or POW and the survivers were absorbed in other regiments.

The Wehrmacht Lexicom site says more, including the following :"Das Regiment wurde im Spätsommer 1944 ohne das neue I. Bataillon in Frankreich vernichtet"

= destroyed during the late Summer of 1944

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/SichReg/SichReg195-R.htm

4. Natman

Natman Member

Thanks for the info and translation!

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You'd figure I had to look ad do research on this unit. I hope to find more info and if possible pictures too

6. Natman

Natman Member

I would be interested to read (or check links to) any information you're willing to share. My father was in the areas of Rennes, Laval, Ernee, attached to the 90th ID/Task Force Weaver, around Aug 5, 44.

Maybe they had some contact with portions of the Regiment 195?

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm afraid I'm a newbie on this matter. I only acquired this plate weeks ago and knew nothing about this unit until then . However if I do find further information I's be glad to share it with you.