Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Legend of Sid's Coffee Stall

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2. Jack B

Jack B Active Member

heheheh... No arguments here, Poppy.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

It was 30 years ago and I'm not even sure it was Greenock, I just looked at a map to see which town in the west it might be. Maybe you can tell me? There was a RN base there with some Yanks attached. I also remember that they were very, very proud of a telegraph office built just for Prince Albert when he visited his estate nearby. As telegraph offices go it was a handsome little building within sight of the hotel. I got tired of looking interested when four of five times a day somebody would point at it and tell me it was built just for Prince Albert to communicate with the Queen. Nowadays, since I'm a WWII fan I'd probably look disapprovingly down my nose four or five times a day and reply: "He was a German you know..."

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Sounds more like Dunoon or Faslane, if there were Yanks there.
    Still wouldn't order iced tea there though.

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Dunoon! I just googled and 'Holy Loch" jumped out at me. I suppose that's why I couldn't recall the name, because we were at Holy Loch and called it that. It says the US annex closed in 1992, and I would have been there in 1990 (I think). The hotel had a pub with the largest collection of Scotch whisky I've ever seen in one place, and several views of Prince Albert's telegraph office (that I got tired of hearing about). The other remembrance is that we had the smartest and prettiest RN Petty Officer in the world as our Liaison. She was a real sailor with a couple of tours on Royal Navy ships, and also knew her whisky and proved it on several late nights when we closed the pub. We were there doing extraordinarily boring stuff - working out bugs for payments between the US military health insurance (called CHAMPUS back then), and the NHS.

GRW likes this.