Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Liberation of Jonzac

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Skipper, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Recently a member asked me information about areas in the west and South West that were liberated by the Resistance. I was looking for nice example whne Idrive through a small place north of bordeaux called Jonzac. I first was struck by the number of FFI who fell there on one single day , then I stumbled upon the church which is still covered with bullets holes. I was quite intrigued and decided to push it a little bit further and went to the tourist information. A lady there was very helpful and tld me about the interesting WW2 spots, some obvious and others tottaly unexpected.
    There was a memorial for a Resistant who gave his life while blewing up a huge German amno depot. His friends was caught alive and shot .

[​IMG]

There was a plaque for the Resistants who gave their lives for the liberation of the city in the main entrance of the local chateau . Their names were also mentionned on the War Monument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the station there was also a monument for a RAF Mosquito crew who crashed there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then inside the Justice Palace (Court) . there was a commemorative plaque too.

[​IMG]

The toll was quite impressive to say the least , considering this was a small town.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

the town itself is beautiful, but even upon visiting the local church you'll find stigmates of the heavy combats that took place there in 1944.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]