Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Most Preferred Pistol

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Blaster, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    After opening my Most Preferred 9mm Pistol topic, I had an idea about a topic discussing, out of all, which was the most preferred pistol out of everything that fired a larger cartridge than a 9mm round. I thought about changing my original topic, but then decided it would be too confusing. So, a pistol that would originally shoot a 9mm bullet modified to fire a larger bullet would count (eg Browning Hi-Power modified to fire .40 S&W cartridges, my choice). Anyone else like to share their opinions and the resons behind it?
    PS If this topic is unecessary and confusing, can a moderator remove or lock it?

2. Siberian Black

Siberian Black New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Colt .45?

WW2 Allied pilots were armed with in so they weren't completly unarmed if they had to bail out over Axis territory.

Standard WW2 GI sidearm (Not entirely sure someone correct me if that's wrong)

3. Greg Pitts

Greg Pitts New Member

via TanksinWW2
    .45 ACP, and that's a personal preference.

- Greg

:smok:

4. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ditto on the .45 cal. Model 1911.

Tim

5. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think we all agree with the Colt .45

Is the luger 9 mil? or Walther?

6. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Both the Luger and P38 (and most other Walther pistols after it) chambers 9 x 19 mm ammunition. I believe there were a few .45ACP Lugers made for trials in America aswell.

7. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ok. Thanks I heard the only reason the Luger got popular is because thats what the GI's came home with after the WWI then the Kids wanted one. :)

8. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Luger was great wepon.Bigger caliber dont nesesary mean betther.

9. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Take the Desert Eagle for example. .50 cal. slugs that would definetly K.O someone no questions asked, but it's big and unwieldy, with a load of recoil and the mother of all handgun shot noise. I've heard other people say this, and it's probably correct. And if the 9mm Parabellum is standard in most of the world, why does everyone here agree on the .45 ACP?

10. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Take for exsample Tokarev TT-33 (popular Teteac) with his 7.62 x 25 mm TT (7.62 Tokarev) is only pistol who can penetrate nato helmet (from bouth sides) on 20m distances.

11. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Blaster:
    The Desert eagle is a "hand-CANNON"... and not a practical sidearm for military-personnel.
    As to why the Colt M1911 .45 ACP over 9mm parabellum?
    You hit a man with a .45 and he goes down. Period. Or put another way... "Theres nothing like a gaping chest-wound to take the fight out of a man."
    heh-heh.
    That's why.

Tim

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What NATO helmet? There is no such thing as a "NATO helmet" since individual members chose there own and over the decades and between the various states they differ widely.

What other pistols or calibres were tested out of interest? What ammunition was used? There is a huge variety of pistols and vastly differing ammunition, to make a statement that the 7.62 x 25mm round is the only one capable of doing so this must have been a very exhaustive test. When was this tested?

13. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hm,here is site:http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29_4.htm

U can see thre varius types of ammo used on tests,it is pretty acurate data.
    And my bad,it penetrate only 1 side,what 45ACP,357 magnum,9mm parabelum and otther failed to do.

14. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The .45 ACP has low penetration by design. It was reasoned that if a bullet penetrates through and through then less of the energy is transferred to the target thus lower man stopping ability.
    The low velocity, larger projectile was a deliberate design choice.

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Interesting, I noticed though that the .357 used in the test fired JHP and JSP not intended for penetrating. A test with ball type ammunition would have been far more indicative. Equally the type of ammunition used in the other types including the 7.62mm are not mentioned.

Many other pistol rounds are in use and have not been tested here, so it's a bit sweeping to say that of all pistol ammunition only the 7.62mm could penetrate the helmet.

Hardly a scientific test either, it appears the helmet used is the same one in each test. Is it not possible that the earlier rounds weakened the helmet to the point that the 7.62mm was able to penetrate and if the weapons were fired in a different order the results might not have been as good for the 7.62mm?

Sorry, but this proves nothing.

16. sinissa

sinissa New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For personal defence,i poses zastava M-70 pistol http://www.zastava-arms.co.yu/english/civilni.htm,small weapon,with light charge,durable,easy to use,light,etc.Most interesting thing that he got more accuracy then any otther gun i shooted (reasonable,he kick far less),and with his low penetration power,it make it extremly good for personal defence (u cannot kill any1 in next room).7.65 is EU caliber,and US dont like small calibers,so they mostly choice on 45ACP,in worst case it is 9mm parabelum.But there is diferen between military and personal defence gun.