Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The single most influential weapon of the war.

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Simonr1978, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Bound to get a healthy exchange of views here.

What in people's opinion was the single most influential waepon of the second world war?

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well, do you mean:

a) the weapon that most influenced the war - say ASDIC

b) the weapons produced during the war that have had the most effect - like the birth of the Semi-automatic Rifle

Or could we have both questions running?

3. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    And what did it influence ? It could be argued that the atomic bomb was the most influential weapon of WWII becauses of the impact it had on the post-WWII world, but I wouldn´t say it had much influence on the war itself.

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hee hee -

Simon has his discussion already, but about the question, not the answer!
    :roll:

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, the A-bomb effectively ended the war, which could be considered the greatest influence of all. But on the course of it, in a sheer technological sense, I'd say the T34. It can be argued that this tank singlehandedly saved the Soviets from defeat in late 1941.

6. Zhukov_2005

Zhukov_2005 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The most influential weapon of the war would have to be the atomic bomb. It was this weapon that ended the war, and it is this weapon that has threatend us ever since. Seems pretty influential to me.

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hmm, Simon, please restate your exact question. I'm not sure whether this is about the most influential weapon of the war (made during this war) or the weapon that was most influential on the war.

8. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    The aerial rocket?

It massively improved the firepower of ground-attack planes, allowing a single-engined plane to pack more punch than a braodside from a cruiser!

It translated air superiority into aerial domination of the battlefield (and, more importantly, the supply lines).

Yes it was innacurate, but as a weapon against ground targets it was superb (especially soft targets), and bloody scary for those being straffed.

9. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nice suggestion! This one was far more influential on the outlook of warfare than the course of it, but still. Technologically...

Still, I'd like to see what Simaon wanted to hear, exactly...

10. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    what about the jet plane?, do not matter from what country :smok:

11. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Russians had created an automatic rifle in the thirties.

The most effective weapon of the war was definately the nuclear bomb. No other weapons could eliminate a major city within seconds.

The most influencial weapon used for the first time was, in my oppinion, the tactical bomber (e.g. the Ju 87, Ju 88, Il-2, Pe-2, Typhhon, etc.). Although its effect is some roles was limited, this weapon had a tremendeous impact on the war.

The most influencial weapon, if all are included, is however no doubt the infantry rifle.

12. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I would say radar. Without it Britain would probably fallen and this may never have happened.

13. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Atomic weapons. Near misses are close enough.

"I have become death incarnate".

14. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    If I interpret the question narrowly, the weapon which had the most influence ON the war, I would have to agree that radar is a very good answer. Without it the British may have lost the Battle of Britain, and the Allies may never have been able to decisively eliminate the U-Boats. Without Britain to woory about, it is possible the Germans could have finsihed off the USSR. I'm not sure how much of an effect radar had in the East however. Did radar allow the Germans remain effective in the air until 1944? I don't think so. Since I consider the East to be the critical theater, I would have to say the T-34. Jets, missiles and atomic bombs all came to late to influence the war itself, no matter what their impact on the post war world.

15. johann phpbb3

johann phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I say the German MkII. Revolutionized tank and mechanized warfare. Everything changed after this was used. The T-34 led to stellar new tank designs, but this got the Germans into Russian and helped them in thier massive territorial gains in the early years.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

via TanksinWW2
    2½ ton cargo truck.

17. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If you see what trouble the Allies still had in supplying their front line units, and if you consider the relatively limited use of truly motorized Allied infantry during the entire war, I'd have to disagree with that.

The radar is one of the chief developments but I think its impact on the Battle of Britain can be easily overestimated. It merely sped up the British reaction, which otherwise would have come about half an hour later when the planes became visible to the eye. A little more speed doesn't win a battle if speed is already present, nad if you see the efficiency with which the RAF worked this was definitely there.

The tactical bomber is indeed a good call, Christian. Matches with the air-to-ground rocket proposed by Ricky.

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If you see what trouble the Allies still had in supplying their front line units, and if you consider the relatively limited use of truly motorized Allied infantry during the entire war, I'd have to disagree with that.

The radar is one of the chief developments but I think its impact on the Battle of Britain can be easily overestimated. It merely sped up the British reaction, which otherwise would have come about half an hour later when the planes became visible to the eye. A little more speed doesn't win a battle if speed is already present, nad if you see the efficiency with which the RAF worked this was definitely there.

The tactical bomber is indeed a good call, Christian. Matches with the air-to-ground rocket proposed by Ricky.

19. GP

GP New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I beg to disagree with you on this because the radar enabled the RAF to deploy sufficient numbers of aircraft to meet the incoming Germans, Giving the appearance of no matter how many Germans came Britain had sufficient fighters to attack. By not scrambling all the fighters for every attack the pilots could rest until needed. Therefore radar was a very important tool in the victory of the Battle of Britain.

20. canambridge

canambridge Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, until radar the adage, "the bomber will always get through", was actually true. The book "The Narrow Margin" gives a good explanation of the problems of intercepting bombers before radar.