Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Sinking of the Junyo Maru one of the greatest WW2 disasters

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by Skipper, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I would like to share this with you. One of my ancestors was among the Dutch victims.

May they all rest in peace. :poppy:

The Junyo Maru - 5620 Dutch, English, Australian and American POWs and Javanese slave labourers died when this Japanese cargo boat was torpedoed, on 18 September 1944 off the south west coast of Sumatra, by a British submarine.

1382 Dutch, 56, British ,8 US and 3 Australian POWs and about 4000 Javanese slave labourers perished

http://members.iinet.net.au/~vanderkp/junyopg8.html

[​IMG]

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I've read of this sinking. It's one of the great tragedies of WW2. I did not realize you had a relative aboard. I'm sorry for your loss, and all of the lives cut short.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Skipper likes this.
  4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It sure is sad. I only found out about this today while doing some genealogy research.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I also offer my condolences Skipper and to all others who lost loved ones in this terrible disaster. What a tragic story. I can't even imagine how the submariners felt when they found out the awful news.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

No need for compassion lads, as you may understand , I wasn't even aware of it until 24 hours ago and the brave man was a distant relative, I was born decades after he made the ultimate sacrifice. It's just a way to pay respect and above all a modest way to make sure this story wo'nt be forgotten. It's about as big as the Wilhelm Gustloff or the Lancastria, but this loss is almost totally forgotten. Is it because 4000 of the casualties were anonymous Japanese slave workers?
    Also I find the story most interesting.

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Likely it is because the "Hell ships" of Japan is a subject, that even today, few are comfortable talking about. A.) It brings up a rather sore subject with our Japanese allies, and B.) That through Ultra intercepts, the Allies knew what convoys were carrying POWs - just not on board which ships, thus they directed their submarines to attack the convoys anyway.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

An excellent website on those maritime disasters in World War II - those "remembered" and "forgotten."
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~gduncan/index.html
    Check out the "Maritime Disasters of WWII" and the "More Maritime Disasters of WWII" drop-down boxes.

Skipper likes this.
  9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm, survivors talk about people being exhausted and having malaria. Besides the Japanese survivors had little flags in their safety kits which they waved , so the rescuers would save them before the others. It must be said that they saved some westerners too.