Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Treblinka Escape

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by GRW, Jan 26, 2015.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"The first shot that Samuel Willenberg fired as he fled to safety from the notorious death camp Treblinka was to kill a desperately wounded priest, who preferred death to being recaptured by the Nazis.
    It was the final horror the then-20-year-old witnessed after years of unimaginable cruelty.
    Now 92, and the sole survivor of the most astonishing escape of the Nazi death camps, he told MailOnline of the moment 1,000 tried to flee Treblinka in August 1943. He was one of just 67 to survive, and the only one left alive.
    'Suddenly, we heard a thunderous explosion from the garage. Tongues of fire soared over the trees coming from the gasoline drums that the prisoners had set alight'
    'We all started screaming 'Hoooraaaah!' and running towards border of the camp'.
    As he ran, all Samuel could hear was machine gun fire from the Germans. 'It went 'Trrradadadadadam. I felt a bullet in my leg - I looked down as my shoe filled with blood. But I carried on running.'
    Suddenly, a bullet hit the priest, a friend who was running beside him. Samuel said: 'He could run no more. He implored me, 'finish me off, please, just kill me. I told him, 'turn your head towards the gas chambers, where your wife and daughters were killed' - and I shot him. It was the only thing to do'.
    Treblinka, in German-occupied Poland, has become a byword for astonishing cruelty and sadism, where 900,000 Jews were murdered there in just 15 months and where even a picture-perfect St Bernard dog was ordered to savage prisoner's genitals.
    As the world prepares to commemorate Holocaust Day tomorrow, Samuel is telling his story to ensure it cannot be forgotten."
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2926548/Tongues-fire-soared-screamed-hoorah-ran-machine-guns-man-alive-escape-Nazi-s-Treblinka-death-camp-relives-terrifying-moment-hell-burned-ground.html#ixzz3PwSKB5Mj

Smiley 2.0 likes this.
  2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this.

3. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Yes. Thank you very much for sharing this!

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

the changes that go on in the minds of some people during war!....it changes them from 'normal', to<><>something else, something we think of as ''non-human''...or let's the inner 'evil' come to the surface...