Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Type XXI

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by Panzerknacker, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

It says that the Type XXI never entered a combat duty-why then do RAF Coastal Command records show that a Mosquito attacked a Type XXI on the surface on the 6th of May, 1945?

2. dasreich

dasreich Member

perhaps it was in harbor or in the process of being scuttled?

3. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Member

Not sure of the occasion that you referenced, but my understanding of "never entered combat duty" would refer to actual operations against enemy shipping.

There were only two "war patrols" by Type XXI boats. U 2511 under command of Adalbert Schnee on 3 May 1945 made a simulated attack on HMS Suffolk at a range of 600m. Schnee went through the motions of an attack, but broke off at the last minute and dove under Suffolk and made off for Norway without ever being detected. Sailing just before the surrender, U 3008 under command of Helmut Manseck carried out a dummy attack on a British convoy before returning to port.

[ 30 August 2002, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: herr_kaleun ]

4. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I think Friedrich wrote about this subject last month...You have to check the threads...I had a quick look but could not locate...But it is there....

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Could have been a case of mistaken identity?

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Panzerknacker :

you never gave your source for the Mossie attack.....Herr K from W. Kentucky is correct.

Wonder if several attacks were made while the subs were in harbor that has already been stated. in fact I beleive there are still two of these big boys still in a bunker, or are they scrapped ?...... Carl, Stevin ?

E

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

8. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Yeah....I think two of these ships are stilkl in some bunker in Hamburg. I will check it out once I finally GET THERE! :mad:

9. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I've been looking for references to an attack on 6/5/45 without success.

Could it have been confused with 2nd May ? On that day, the Banff Strike Wing sank a Type XXIII, the U2359, in the Kattegat. Again, U-BoatNet makes the destinction that the submarine was not on an operational sortie.

( But the Banff Strike Wing were ! ;) )

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

No, actually it was not detected by any air or naval enemy unit until it reached port in Norway.