Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The U 505

Discussion in 'The War at Sea' started by PanzerProfile, Feb 15, 2006.

1. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This U 505 has been visited and pictured by SturmTiger.
    ST, will you share the details?
    Thanks a lot for sharing! It's a mighty beast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks Panzer.These pics were taken in 1999.These views were the best available due to the boat being fenced in.I trudged through several feet of snow to get them.The pic of the starboard conning tower was taken from inside the museum.In the new exhibit,you can walk entirely around the U505.This sub is huge when viewed up close.The outside has been completely restored and the inside looks as if it has been touched up too.
    The walk through tour now includes dramatic lighting and sound effects including a depth charge attack,crew sounds,French music and a torpedo attack with sounds of the the target sinking and breaking up.It costs five dollars extra to take the tour but it is well worth it.

3. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I just sent Panzerprofile a few pics of the new exhibit.As he is kind enough to post them for me,you get to enjoy them too.Unfortunately the lighting is very dim and not good for photographic purposes.
    Note the pic of the bow.This is the view of the U505 when you first enter the exhibit.I didn't expect to be so close to the boat and actually had to look for it until I noticed the conning tower.At that point I realized the bow of the boat was a whopping ten feet from the tip of my nose.lol.It sounds ridiculous,but you have to be there.My girlfriend actually looked around and asked"Where is it?"I hope you guys enjoy the pics.

4. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Man, you are so blessed to be able to visit the sub! BTW, how did you get your girlfriend to go along? In my experience, most women aren't interested in such things. But the photos are fantastic; thanks, SturmTiger!

5. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here they are! The new pics. Sorry for the 2-day delay.. busy life.. Enjoy!And thanks again for sending these.

6. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the book, but if you can find it, read it.

It's written by Adm. Dan Gallery, and it's about the capture of the 505 boat. Actually, he wrote a few books, that are good reads. He's got a sense of humor that would fit in well here, though he'd probably get counselled a time or two!

If I get the chance, I'll see if I can't find some of the titles.

In one of the books, a US Petty Officer First hooks up with a female sergeant in Israel. I can't recall the details, but they are discussing venereal diseases. She mentions that gonorrhea is a fatal disease.

"Gonorrhea isn't a fatal disease!"
    "It is if you give it to me!"
    :eek:

Okay, just went trolling, here's what I found.

http://www.msichicago.org/exhibit/U505/ ... chers.html
    This page lists some books about U-Booten, and the 505 boat specifically. From this page, you can also view some WWII history, as well as the Boat’s history. Take a virtual tour. See more about the exhibit.

Knock yerselves out!!

http://www.saveonbooks.co.uk/index.php? ... 1557503370
    For those of you in the UK that might be interested, here’s a book about Admiral Dan

Okay, I might have been mistaken. I could have sworn that he wrote more than these, but here are three titles by Dan Gallery:
    Cap'n Fatso, The Brink, Stubb's Run
    I think Cap’n Fatso is the one that I pulled that quote from.

Biography: Admiral Dan Gallery: The Life And Wit Of A Navy Original Gilliland, C. Herbert Shenk, Robert Hardcover; ; ISBN: 1557503370

7. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I know a lot of you hate the movie,but we watched U571 and the little lady loved it.Ofcourse that lead to Das Boot.All six hours of it in German.It kinda prepped her for the real thing which she also enjoyed.My girl is way cool.

8. Tom phpbb3

Tom phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Apparently!! Though of cloning her?????

9. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not a bad idea.She also plays football with us.REAL football.Not that soccer crap. :D She can't catch,but she runs the ball like a guy.
    I also introduced her to the wonderful world of firearms.She got to play with more toys in one day than most people could dream about.And she wants to go again.

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'd hang on to her if I were you! :D

Does she like curry?

11. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I seriously doubt it.

12. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ah well, nobody is perfect! ;)

Love the pictures btw :D

13. Baron

Baron New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes I have been to Science and Industry Muesem Quite recently they have it underground now I go everyday pretty much to see it .Dont forget they have the 2 of the last Stukas remaning there .Anyway U-505 is quite a submarine I told my brother that they werent very big ships and he was suprised when he saw it. Anyway it is very pretty (if you ever visit there be sure to get a tour of the inside of the Sub it is very neat )

14. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was just thinking.As good as Das Boot is,it doesn't come close to showing how cramped these boats were.

15. corpcasselbury

corpcasselbury New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Nor is any movie likely to. Remember, the filmmakers have to have enough room for their cameras, sound and lighting gear, along with the equipment crews. Reality has to dictate.

16. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    While touring the boat you can't help but wonder how 50 to 60 crewmembers existed for so long in such conditions without killing eachother.

17. Ebar

Ebar New Member

On a space station in geosynchronous orbit above y
    via TanksinWW2
    I was amazed how small the post war British sub Oynx was inside when I visited. The doors between sections were only about a metre high certainly you were were going to go running around her!

18. Quillin

Quillin New Member

via TanksinWW2
    can't remeber the movie, was it das boot or U-571, but in on of those movies (mayby both?) you just see the crew jump through those openings. don't know how to say this, looks more like they're diving in those holes.
    or run at it, grap the handel above it and swing through it with legs first.

19. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    They definately dove into a forward roll through them in Das Boot.

20. Mic von Krate

Mic von Krate New Member

via TanksinWW2
    U 505

Wow, you are lucky to have been able to visit that U-Boat. By the way which meusum it the U-boat situated? I'm guessing London, but could you please tell me.

Thanks,
    Private Mic von Krate