Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Valiant Clan print series

Discussion in 'Art of War' started by Class of '42, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

If you aren't familiar with these prints, the original paintings from which the prints were made were created in the 1970's by a team that included Glenn Bavousett as coordinator and W.T. "Tony" Wedell as the color artist. Thirty-six paintings were originally done, based upon the WWII aircraft existing in the collection of the Confederate Air Force.

These paintings were historically accurate scenes based upon carefully researched episodes of actual combat that centered around the particular aircraft portrayed. The first series of 36 paintings was known as "The Valiant Clan" series.

Two more series (of twelve paintings each) were done for the representative WWII aircraft of the British and German air forces (known as "Battlers Courageous" and "Eagles in the Sky", respectively), with another series of twelve being a mixed bag of aircraft from various nations (known as the "Moments of Glory" series).

A final series of twelve paintings of WWII Japanese aircraft (known as the "Winged Samurai" series) was begun, but not completed before the project ended.

We had a good friend professionally frame 24 of these great 19x23 prints for me and are currently hanging up in our home, wife says it almost looks like an air museum but even she was pleased how they turned out and the way I mounted them.

A sample of this great collection...

p-51b.jpg

2. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why did the project end? I am not familiar with the artist but am very familiar with the Confederate Air Force.

3. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Not sure why the project was ended, as a member of the Confederate Air Force, I always visit their museum down in Mesa, Arizona when I can and even went for a ride on a B-17 for my birthday. Just down the street on Falcon Field was another great place to visit..the Champlin Fighter Museum, which unfortunately closed in 2003. This is where I first spotted those Valiant Clan prints..use to spend hours in that place. Now most of those aircraft are at the Boeing Flight Museum in Seattle. Part of my prints on the wall below.

Champlin Fighter Museum, Mesa, Arizona

Valiant Clan series photo 1.jpg

4. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

Nice job with them being displayed. Too bad they stopped the series especially when they were going to be working on Japanese planes