Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Walther P-38 : The service pistol of the Wehrmacht

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by Spartanroller, Oct 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Spartanroller

Spartanroller Ace

The Walther P-38 Pistol

During the 1930s, German industry began a crash program to rearm the Wehrmacht, which in 1934 needed a new service pistol. In 1934 firearms manufacturers Carl Walther Waffenfabrik offered the Wehrmacht the Model MP (Militarische Pistole), an upsized model PP chambered for the 9mm Parabellum, but its blowback caused its rejection. The next year, a design team led by Fritz Walther began work on a new DA/SA, locked-breech pistol. Two years later the 9mm Model AP (Armee Pistole) was announced. It was a hammerless, DA/SA pistol, which, after some modifications, became known as the Pistole 38 (the P-38). (shootingtimes.com)

2. lordofmacedon

lordofmacedon Member

The P-38 was created for its light wieght and it was much less expensive than the Luger. that is basicly the reason American soildiers looked for the luger, it was rare and expensive.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

My father brought a P-38 home with him. For most of my childhood and youth, he had it in a drawer in his bedroom. We were forbidden to touch it. He only took it out a couple of times that I can remember. Once, when I was in college, I took it out and managed to disassemble it and put it back together. I have no idea where it is today, since my father died in 1990. I'm pretty sure my mother gave it to someone long ago.