Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Theater Poll

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by JJWilson, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Theater of expertise

Poll closed Nov 7, 2017.
  1. Western Front

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Eastern Front

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pacific

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. CBI (China -Burma -India)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Mediterranean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Africa/ Middle East

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Atlantic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I just have a rather weird question to ask all of you. What is your theater of expertise? What theater of WW2 do you know the most about, study the most, enjoy the most? For me my knowledge of the Theaters goes is broad, I know the basics and major battles and turning points for each just about every theater, but the Pacific and Western European theater are the areas I know the most about.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

PTO, focusing on "both ends" of the action. Weaker in the middle. (And Hyperwar has made me rather eclectic.)

3. JJWilson

I agree Opana, it's nice to diversify, to really understand one theater, you have to understand the others IMO.

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

In no particular order - Northwest Europe, 1944-1945, especially ETOUSA; North Africa and Tunisia 1940-1943, especially NATOUSA; Italy 1943-1944; German organization and production; American organization and production; lesser specialization in making fun of/poking holes in silly "what ifs", especially WRT Pearl Harbor (tag-teaming occasionally with Opana...the stories we could tell), Japanese attacks on the Panama Canal, German "Vunderwaffen", and the like. :) Much weaker on things naval and naval air and the Pacific Campaign in general - I tend to leave that sort of specialization to Opana and RLeonard.

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Well I am no expert on any theater but my interest tend to be Western Europe in the latter part of the war as I have been fortunate to have traveled over much of it. There is nothing like exploring the Ardennes and imagining all that happened there.....for me. I also have a strong interest in WW2 naval engagements involving gunfire...not planes or submarines....weird I guess. Lastly A fondness for the Eastern front from Stalingrad on. Gruesome !

Gaines

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm certainly no expert on any theater. My reading follows my interests. Currently, I'm reading about American submarines in the Pacific, but I've bounce back and forth between Europe and the Pacific. I'm not very versed in the CBI.I leave specifics to the likes of TD Tommy, Opana, RichT090 and others. I'm more of a reader and a researcher.

7. JJWilson

That's incredible that you got too visit some of those sights! With the Naval Engagements I wish there could have been more Flagship fights too, like the HMS Hood vs. Bismarck. It would be incredibly satisfying too see those huge 15 inch guns blazing away as well!

8. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

No expert, but CBI is my main interest.

9. JJWilson

May I ask why the CBITO is your main interest? It's really quite a unique theater that I don't know a great deal about either.

10. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Long story short, my father was there. :) I joined this forum right after he passed away in 2007. The funeral director asked for his discharge papers to get a flag. I knew they were in his old trunk. Didn't know much about his service back then. Currently reading Stilwell's Mission to China.

11. OpanaPointer

If we don't it's too easy to get into the "most important theater" mindset, which just leads to over-focusing.

12. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Some day, I hope to be well rounded, but for now, I'm 90% focused on CBI. There was/is a steep learning curve for me, when it comes to military terminology. I've only dabbled in The European Theater. It's kinda like reading a medical journal. If you don't know the lingo, it takes much longer to get through information. The good news is, by the time I get done with CBI, my geography skills will be Jeopardy ready. Lol I'm new to all this, even 10 years in (off and on). Just the other day, I learned the basic difference between a bomber, a fighter, and anti-aircraft.... Oh, and don't get me started on the aha moment when I realized what the blue piping on my father's Garrison hat mean. Lol

13. OpanaPointer

Have you read the CBI books we have on Hyperwar?

14. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

Are you talking about the set of 3? The first one is Stilwell's Mission to China? I looked over those online and my bf bought them for my birthday. I'm reading the first one now. How do you get books online like that? I have Ramgarh, Now it can be told. Thought it might be a nice addition. It's hard to find and expensive! Do you actually scan them somehow?

15. OpanaPointer

HyperWar: World War II: China-Burma-India Theater of Operations: Contents

KMZgirl likes this.
  16. OpanaPointer

We don't do copyrighted material. Too much of the original documents to bother with it.

17. lwd

lwd Ace

I wouldn't consider myself an expert in any theater either. Naval war in the Pacific has been a primary interest of mine for quite a few years though.