Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Theories: Could Germany Captured Britain?

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by P5, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    There is an absence of logic in that argument from my point of view - please clarifiy.

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think there is a crossed wire somewhere.

Simon appears to be using the Channel dash as an example to show how little damage the Luftwaffe could cause the Home Fleet.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What he said...

Basically, the Royal Navy is not obliged to maintain a prescence in the channel in order to contest an invasion, the KM is obliged to maintain a prescense in the channel in order to maintain an invasion corridor.

The RN response could be likened to a series of channel dashes, sorties under fighter protection (Sea Gladiators if necessary but as Malta proved they're good enough in defense), during which the KM has the option of either fighting it out (Numerical superiority of the RN wins out combined with the existence of the RAF (As the Luftwaffe cannot complete even figthter command's elimination) and the FAA), or retiring to port during the RN's sorties in which case they will be largely destroyed in their ports, which the RAF PR units had largely identified during the BoB anyway. Baring monumental incompetence and bad luck on the part of the British (Which I would not entirely rule out), there is no way of Germany outclassing the Royal Navy.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sorry I got crossed wires - I agree with that.

5. Miller phpbb3

Miller phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yes germany coulda easily took britian

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    You've already said exactly this before, so I'll ask again, how? Have you read any of the posts on this thread at all? If Germany could have done so easily, why didn't they?

7. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Simon, in programming it is called an infinite loop. You get so far then end up back exactly where you started.

I presume, with this thread dead for 4 days, he has tried to resurrect it. In the "txt age", 4 days is considered almost geological time.

Same comment re the post -- you have said Germany could invade and occupy Britain easily -- have you any evidence for this?

8. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes - I smelt an agent provocateur around here quite a way back but still found the topic interesting enough to pursue.

Ossian - Have you ever seen The Devils IT Dictionary - Under endless loop it says "see loop endless" and under loop endless it says "see endless loop".

Tee Hee ..

:D

9. Ossian phpbb3

Ossian phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    :p :D
    YEs -- a favourite!

10. redcoat

redcoat Ace

via TanksinWW2

;(

11. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Once a shore in great numbers the Germans should be able overcome GB like they did France?

12. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not really, they would have little or no supplies coming over. Food for the soldiers, fodder for the horses, ammunition and fuel for the tanks... Without these the invasion is going nowhere. On internal fuel the Panzers might reach north London if there was absolutely no opposition to them, as soon as they have to stop/start their fuel economy will drop and there range will drop also.

Besides, even the getting ashore in numbers bit could well have been difficult.