Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Three Photo Album German Recon Pilot German Cros in Gold Winner

Discussion in 'Collections' started by Jba45ww2, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Jba45ww2

Jba45ww2 Well-Known Member

Anytime I am able to find a complete grouping of photos that belong to one family/person I immediately do what I can to purchase. It seems that most groups have been split up so when I had a chance to get a three photo album connected to one pilot/family I could not resist. It documents his training through the end of the war. There are also pictures of his mission milestones and he was also a German Cross in Gold Winner. I took multiple pictures from each book and always interested in hearing your feedback.
    Luft1.JPG luft2.JPG luft3.JPG luft4.JPG luft5.JPG luft6.JPG luft7.JPG luft8.JPG luft9.JPG luft10.JPG

2. Jba45ww2

3. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

Wow, fantastic albums & photos. Let us know if you research some of the people in the photos.
    Very interesting. I really like the photo of the Focke-Wulf Fw 189. Thanks for sharing them.

fullsizeoutput_326.jpeg

4. Jba45ww2

I have not seen in the past a ton of photos on the 189 so I thought it was a different type of grouping. I definitely will update any information I find out.

5. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

I found this on the 189.

Focke-Wulf Fw 189 - Wikipedia

One Fw 189 survives today. Its story starts on May 4, 1943 when Fw 189 V7+1H (Werk Nr. 2100), of 1./Nahaufklärungsgruppe 10, with V7 originally the Geschwaderkennung code for Heeres-Aufklärungsgruppe 32 based at Pontsalenjoki (due east of Kuusamo, and within the south-central area of modern Russia's Republic of Karelia) took off on a mission to photograph the Loukhi-3 airbase from an altitude of 6,000 m (20,000 ft), then to continue north along the Murmansk-Leningrad railway. Approximately 31 minutes after taking off, V7+1H was attacked by Lend-Lease-acquired Soviet Hawker Hurricane fighters. The aircraft dived to escape the fighters, but owing to damage already suffered, could not pull out in time, and it struck the treetops. The tail was torn off, and the crew nacelle left hanging upside down within the trees. The pilot, Lothar Mothes, survived but one crewman was killed in the crash and the third died from blood loss as a result of a severed leg. Incredibly, Mothes was able to survive two weeks in sub-zero temperatures, evading Soviet patrols while eating bark and grubs as he walked back to his base. Mothes spent the next nine months in a hospital recovering from severe frostbite before returning to the front line, eventually to fly another 100 missions.

In 1991, the wreckage of V7+1H was found in the Russian forest where it had remained for 48 years. The aircraft was purchased by a group of British aircraft enthusiasts and was shipped to the UK, arriving in the town of Worthing, West Sussex in March 1992. The Focke Wulf 189 Restoration Society was formed to restore the aircraft to flying condition. Her former pilot, Lothar Mothes, met up again with his aircraft at the 1996 Biggin Hill Airshow.

It was reported that this aircraft was acquired by Paul Allen’s Flying Heritage Collection.[citation needed] It is believed to be in storage in America.

James Stewart and Jba45ww2 like this.
  6. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

Jba 45 WW2 ,
    I can't blame you for moving on them three very very good albums which make for a good chunk of history. It is always good to see things like this in safe hands - when broken up for profit it is like dismembering the past in isolation it all becomes fragmented and meaningless.
    Really nice photos, thank you for showing them.

7. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

You have a very good memory :)
    I recall seeing this in "Aeroplane Monthly" , gosh must be 20 plus years ago, the aircraft ( what was salvaged of it) was photographed laid out on a lawn, had not heard of it since then.

8. Jba45ww2

I cant tell you how many times I have seen grouping broken up and sold as individual pieces. Once that happens and they scatter sometimes all over the world you loose that historical story that will never be replaced. I just purchased a large grouping of a B17 Navigator from the 8th. His plane was shot down and was listed as MIA and eventually ended up as a POW. The grouping includes his training, time in England, letters back n forth from parents, letters from the Red Cross and a diary he kept while being a POW. A few other collectors I know heard I had the group and have offered me ridiculous money just for the POW part. I flatly refuse because it is part of the whole story.

James Stewart likes this.