Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Tigers in the Ardennes ..

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by sniper1946, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SS-501

SS-501 New Member

I think you have the best explanation, that he could have been mistaken. I don't want to detract from honoring veterans at all, but most people's memories are faulty in some regards. I have asked several veterans of s. SS-Pz.Abt. 501 to describe what their tanks looked like, turret numbers etc, and answers ranged from they didn't remember, to all of the turret numbers were white. And I can't really fault that; they only rode in their Tiger IIs in the Ardennes for a short period of time, and lots of other things were more important than what their tanks looked like.

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Perhaps there was a panther with a blown barrel at Stoumont? My books are all packed (just moved) or I'd check Duel in the Mist for details of the Panzers killed near Stoumont.

3. MarcusB

MarcusB New Member

Hi Greg,

I really hope so, would be nice to get an idea about the inside. I think it sells better, Amazon and other online bookstore work that way. When I saw some example pages of 'Duel in the Mist' I ordered right away ;-)

Regards,
    Marcus

4. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Was this the engagement on Dec 19th fought by the 740th tank battalion for which the tank commander received a Distinguished Service Cross?

Duke Wellington once compared remembering what happened in a battle is like a man to account for the true history of a dance shindig: who danced with whom, in what order, and at what spot of the room?

5. Weissmann

Weissmann New Member

Hi - I'm new member - please is there any information on KingTiger 212 abt.501? Thanks.

6. tonetriv

tonetriv New Member

Greg, I have two copies of your book. I thought I lost the first, bought another one in panic. I've explored around the Werimont Farm and the museum at La Gleize. Hundreds of scale model builders around the world are dying to know more about what that Tiger II really n looked Mike at the time. Ask me how so know this... .

7. Frank Natoli

Frank Natoli Member

Michael Reynolds in "Devil's Adjutant" had a great anecdote about Tiger 213.
    It seems an American tank recovery team was getting ready to winch it out of some woman's front yard, and she came out with two bottles of Cognac, in trade for the Tiger, which the Americans accepted.
    Which is how it survived for the museum, unlike all the other armor in La Gleize.
    One used to be able to enter 213, but tourists were ransacking parts, so the Belgians welded the hatches shut.