Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Time between cruises

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by Hummel, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Hummel

Hummel Member

Greetings!
    I just watched, as I always do, "Destination Tokyo" and "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" on April 18th. I know Thirty Seconds is much more accurate than Destination which is about a 100% propaganda piece. No matter. At the end of Destination, the crewmen are talking about what they're going to do now that their cruise is over -- go back to the farm and drink cider, get lots of Dinah Shore records, get married (which is as close to what real sailors plan for shore leave as a WWII-era film could talk about lol), etc.

This leads me to my question -- how much time did WWII sailors HAVE in-between cruises? It's made quite clear at the beginning of this film that this is this sub's, USS Copperfin btw, 5th cruise with the same crew and the same skipper. Now that I think about it, how long did US sub cruises last? Patrol cruises, not the task-specific type cruise. Wasn't it something like 50 days or until they ran of fish?

Thank you as always to the knowledgeable folks who may take the time to help me correct some more ignorance on my part!

Ciao!

2. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Member

The crew would get time off, but there was still work to be done or if the ship was out for a long time they may be transferred to another ship. I imagine the actual time off depended on if the ship was being repaired and how long the repairs would take, resupplied and how long it was before its next assignment.

3. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

5. Takao

Takao Ace

The war patrol ran from 40 to 70 days, although, some were shorter or longer. The average patrol ran from the mid-50's to the mid-60's.

The average "in port" time between war patrols was about 20-30 days depending on what work(normal maintenance, minor repairs & refits) had to be done. All of the submarine's personnel were given two weeks leave and the submarine turned over to a "relief crew" that would perform all work and maintenance for that time period.

As to commanders & crew. Submarine commanders usually made 3-6 war patrols with a submarine. The crew stayed with the submarine until transferred or injured/medically ineligible - of course, the longer a boat was in service, less and less original crew remained.

CAC and LRusso216 like this.
  6. 26delta

26delta recruit

Some sailors, due to their speciality, would find themselves assigned to another ship and immediately back on cruise. I have a great uncle who was in that category. According to his transfers record, he would arrive in port and two to three days later, would be assigned to a new vessel heading out to sea. I never did find out what his speciality was.