Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

To what are you listening?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by dgmitchell, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

CAC likes this.
  7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Well, it does take some time but anyway I ordered David Bowie´s 2001 unreleasen record in 6x10" vinyls instead of cd´s for January 2022.

[​IMG]

TOY:Box is a special edition of the unreleased TOY album available in 3CD or 6x10” vinyl formats. The ‘capture the moment’ approach of the recording sessions are extended to the sleeve artwork designed by Bowie featuring a photo of him as a baby with a contemporary face. The package also contains a 16-page full-colour book featuring previously unseen photographs by Frank Ockenfels.

TOY was recorded following David's Glastonbury 2000 performance. Bowie entered the studio with his band to record new interpretations of songs he’d first recorded from 1964-1971. The plan was to record the album ‘old school’ with the band playing live, choose the best takes and then release it as soon as humanly possible. Unfortunately, in 2001 the concept of the ‘surprise drop’ album release and the technology to support it were still quite a few years off, making it impossible to release TOY at the time.

Included in TOY:Box is a second CD/set of 10”s of alternative mixes and versions including proposed B-Sides (versions of David’s debut single ‘Liza Jane’ and 1967’s ‘In The Heat Of The Morning’), later mixes by Tony Visconti and the ‘Tibet Version’ of ‘Silly Boy Blue’ recorded at The Looking Glass Studio time at the of the 2001 Tibet House show in New York featuring Philip Glass on piano and Moby on guitar.

The third CD/set of 10”s features 'Unplugged & Somewhat Slightly Electric’ mixes of thirteen TOY tracks. Producer Mark Plati "While we were recording the basic tracks Earl Slick suggested that he and I overdub acoustic guitars on all the songs. He said this was a Keith Richards’ trick, sometimes these guitars would be a featured part of the track, and at other times they’d be more subliminal. Later while mixing, David heard one of the songs broken down to just vocals and acoustic guitars; this gave him the idea that we ought to do some stripped-down mixes like that and that maybe one day they'd be useful. Once we put a couple of other elements in the pot, it felt like it could be a completely different record. I was only too happy to finish that thought some two decades after the fact”.

10. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Theres no doubt about it Kai, you are a total pop head (nothing wrong with that).

I was listening to some fav Australian singers last night (John Farnahm - Jessica Mouboy - Guy Sebastion)
    Guy Sebastian is an awesome singer and can write a mean song...he recently performed one of his songs "battle scars" live in his studio because so many people (Americans) were saying that he uses "auto tuner" on his voice because it couldn't be that good...so he got an acoustic guitar and sat down and sang the song, just him. One take. He managed to silence the haters.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Kai-Petri and Half Track like this.
  11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great voice and acoustic song, CAC! I listened to Farnham in the late 80' s when he had hits over here. I recall Icehouse is from Australia, I really liked " electric blue" but they had a string of hits, too. And INXS and Kylie.

CAC likes this.
  12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The exciting thing is that the world has on occasion over looked Australian music…So for most in the world there is 50 years of epic bands and solo artists and most importantly hundreds of amazing songs just waiting to be discovered.
    I invite all to google something like Classic Australian music or the best Australian rock/pop songs to get an idea…like our animals, Australian music has filled all the musical niches…We have our own Bob Dylan (Paul Kelly) Our own Beatles (Easy Beats) and so on…

This is an example of a classic Australian band with a classic Australian song…a song most Australians love as a driving song…

or Hunters and Collectors…So many great songs…this one has become an unofficial anthem for the AFL.

These are songs for the Australian market and tastes…not designed to attract the overseas ear…

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Kai-Petri likes this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

And for you and me Kai…John Farnham doing his version of the Beatle’s HELP!

Kai-Petri likes this.
  14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Back to the 80´s.....

R.I.P. Michael.....:(

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

And one more...I would have loved to be Michael Hutchence alive no suicide (?)....

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Split Enz…evolved to Crowded House…I see red.

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Oh, you mean this?

CAC likes this.
  18. Half Track

Half Track Well-Known Member

If only to be young again………….

Kai-Petri likes this.
  19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali