Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Top ETO Air Force fighter unit

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erich, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Military History Network

Military History Network Registered Member

Erich -

I'll dig up what I can on the 416th, 422nd, 425th for you and post it over on the Med folder.

Unfortunately for us, while the http://paul.rutgers.edu/~mcgrew/wwii/usaf/html/, USAAF Chronology, speaks of unit and place relocations, it does not indicate unit participations in sorties. That's why I could only say how many 9 AF B-24s hit Ploesti, but not from which BG(Med)s.

(Military security: we'll tell you where all the B-24s were based, but not which ones were involved on any specific day 60 years ago.)

- Pat

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

this would be excellent Pat, as I do have the microfische of the 422nd and 425th nfs and the 416th but the text from the rolls was so bad, I may have easily placed incorrect figures for rounds expended, bombs, towns hit and times of engagements.....anything added would be of most help.

The B-24 bases sounds like a great idea ! I've really only got info from late 44 through wars end on the 9th, and 15th. practically nil on the 12th. Ploesti as a target I am familiar with only from the German defences .

thumbs up !

E

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Last one for tonight. Pat if you can find materials on the 12th and 15th Photo recon groups this would be another helpful addition.
    I am receiving a book by author Tom Ivie on the 15th TRS of the 10th Photo Recon Group in the 9th very soon.

Erich

4. Military History Network

Military History Network Registered Member

Erich -

There's relatively little detail of the 416th, 422nd, and 425th Night Fighter Squadrons for me to dredge up. But what little I see on the 416th suggests it would be a very interesting unit for someone aviation-minded to research. They flew Beauforts and Mosquitos.

The info I've dug up for you on 12th and 15th Photo Recon Squadrons (not Groups) will be posted in a few minutes over in the Mediterranean Allied Air Force folder.

But please do some digging yourself in the http://paul.rutgers.edu/~mcgrew/wwii/usaf/html/, USAAF Chronology. Everything I'm giving you comes from there.

- Patrick Skelly

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Pat :

thanks for the 12th AF squad photo recon chronolgy !

Too bad about the nfs stuff. oh well. glad I was able to obtain the microfische of these through membership with the night fighter association when it was still active. The 416th actually flew several missions in April 1945 with the P-61 before hostilites end.

thumbs up !

E

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Another 9th Air Force fighter group. The 368th which had some great nose art on their P-47's. Ranked as the highest scoring P-47 group in the 9th Air force during WW 2 with 143 kills. check their site at :

www.368thfightergroup.com/

let the pages load as there are some great pics.

E

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Very good site Erich...checked it out at work today! Excellent stuff!

I think you already know this but for everyones sake;

Schiffer (WHICH ISN'T PARTICULARLY QUICK IN SENDING ME MY BOOKS.....but that is another story) has the following book about the 9th USAAF 370th FG history for sale as of april, 17th.

http://www.schifferbooks.com/military/aviationunithistories/0764317792.html

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Right O my friend ! heard about this last month. A big book too! hopefully with some great pics and first hand accounts. I hope the photo printing is clear on this one as some of the redone German language books/tranlations have come out very dark and on crapo paper too.

The text file on March 18th crew came out great.......yeah

~E~

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

another great site dedicated to another 9th AF T-bolt group, the 365th

www.hellhawk.com/

a great fg history that is a rare find indeed. only 2,000 copies made. Why ? would like to grab a copy but porbably running over 250.00 US uk !!! :eek:

the Hellhawks were actaully one of the very few US fighter groups that lost so many P-47's in Unternehmen Bodenplatte on 1-1-45. JG 53's Bf 109's cuaght one squadron of yellow nost t-bolts and destroyed everyone except their hack a/c. you can read and see some striking pics on the Hellhawks website.

~E