Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trump makes good on cost-cutting promises.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by KodiakBeer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

McCain knows that no useful information can be gained by torture.

Carry on men.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

An absolute statement? He's a Sith?

3. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

War hero who has been tortured is a good enough reason for me to respect his recon report.

That is all.

4. OpanaPointer

Well, he's wrong.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

And how does his opinion differ from the current Secretary of Defenses?

6. OpanaPointer

Reminds me of "Captain America: Civil War", when SecState comes with the "Sokovia Accords".

"Last I looked he had a Medal of Honor, which is one more than you!" And this makes him a perfect person how? Appeal to authority.

7. lwd

lwd Ace

Hardly the "darkest" or "era" of our country or military. Not at all comparable to Buchenwald either. Torture can "work" it's just that it's not generally the best way to obtain intel.
    Torture and some of the "enhanced interrogation techniques" were indeed not a good idea they shouldn't be conflated with Guantanamo or even the prison there though.
    ??? what are you talking about here?
    I don't think they are questioning your knowledge, I'm certainly not. Your ability to distinguish between two radically different situations on t he other hand ...
    Actually there's a possibility that some of them were indeed playing tennis (or at least table tennis) although surfing is a bit of a stretch. Apparently you are not well versed in the range of things that went on and are going on there.
    This appears to me to be in conflict with at least some of your statements above. I think McCain has made a good case against some of the things that happened there but he has not taken it anywhere near the extremes you have.

8. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

9. OpanaPointer

Good for you.

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Better to drop a big bomb on them, so they don't get waterboarded.

George Patton likes this.
  11. lwd

lwd Ace

The problem seems to be that you are basing your position on misunderstandings and then exaggerating things. Torture is Torture is a bad idea IMO because it is morally offensive (in most cases) and is not the best way by a long shot to obtain information (at least in general). McCain in no way compared Guantanamo prison to a Nazi death camp though. Such a comparison is ludicrous and trivializes what actually happened. Certainly the reports of what happened there and else where were used in terrorist propaganda but what's not so clear is what effect said propaganda had (also consider that they were doing far worse and publishing it as well). Then there's the question of exactly what "torture" is.

Your not standing with John and trying to define your "ideals" as "American" is hardly accurate. You have formed an opinion and seem to accept only those things that support it and deny or ignore the facts you find inconvenient. I too wish some of the things that happened at Guantanamo hadn't happened but there have been times in US history when far worse has been considered acceptable.

12. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

I stand by my Buchenwald analogy because in our name and approved by our government, our military inflicted as much pain and suffering as was inflicted on the individuals as at Buchenwald. We tortured to death and left living dead in our wake. And all for nothing of proven value. James Mitchell directed the whole program after a spook friend of his was killed by Muslims. He admitted that he then spent years studying the Koran looking for a reason to hate.

13. OpanaPointer

Good for you.

14. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Please, you're getting silly with this. You can disapprove of waterboarding without torturing logic and truth to draw such absurd comparisons. Waterboarding isn't being starved for months and then gassed to death, nobody in Gitmo had their testicles X-Rayed until they burned off, were injected with infectious diseases, were put in tanks and had the oxygen removed, had dogs rip them apart, or were gunned down and thrown in mass graves.

Just say "I disapprove of waterboarding."

15. OpanaPointer

16. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

You apparently have not read about all that we have done. Waterboarding was just for openers The rules that our official government torturers were working under stated only that they could not cause permanent organ failure. Hanging a prisoner by the arms for hours was ok. Chained to a stone floor in freezing weather was OK. Except ooops! the guy died. And all for nothing of any proven value.

17. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Maybe you missed it. My dad was there. I have studied the history. I know about the numbers. Even after the liberation 2-300 a day were dying. I know that your point was one of magnitude but that is a morally corrupt position.

18. OpanaPointer

Just pointing up the flaws inherent in hyperbole.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  19. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Look, you're talking to a guy that has flown coach on Aeroflot from LA to Moscow. And back. I know a few things about torture, and maintain that Gitmo ain't Buchenwald.

George Patton likes this.
  20. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Did they squeeze your nads or threaten to kill your family as you hung from the ceiling during the flight? I know that you were joking.