Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trying to find information on my Grandfather's unit.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Rob Gorrell, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

2. MARNE

MARNE Member

Hey Rob,

Thats an AWESOME photo of you grandfather! I'll say this that Jeep as some point was probably in Italy. Notice the ring and star on the quater panel? In NW European theatre you don't see that marking too much they're there but, not in great quantities.

I'll try and post a pick of my uncle in a bit. I'l have to scan it in... ;)

I hear ya, I used to do CW living history and, I still do from time to time. However, WWII is just a great release from the geometric lines of the CW as well as just letting the enemy take pot shots at you as your lined up en mass. :D I have a pretty good mixture of books on both gentre's...

Some great recommendations for WWII books? Here ya go:

MTO:
    "An Army At Dawn" by Rick Atkinson
    "Battle For Rome" by Robert Katz
    "To Hell and Back" by Audie Murphy
    "Cassino" by Fred Majdalany
    "Up Front" by Bill Mauldin
    "Brave Men" by Ernie Pyle
    "Grasshopper Pilot" by Julian W. Cummings

ETO:
    I don't really have anything major on the ETO as I'm mostly an MTO and PTO guy but, there are tons of great books on that particular theatre of war.

PTO:
    "30 Seconds Over Tokyo" by Ted Lawson
    "Semper Fi Mac" by Henry Berry
    "Baa Baa Black Sheep" by Greg "Pappy " Boyington
    "Ghost Soldiers" by Hampton Sides
    "Return of the Enola Gay" by Paul W. Tibbets

These are just some of the great WWII books that I have in my collection that I really enjoy but, this will also give you a great start in learning more about the Second World War.

Regards,
    MARNE

3. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

OK. Here is the next problem. He arrived in England in Jan. of 44. the 69th did not get there until December of 44. So I don't know what unit to place him in during that time period before the 69th arrived. Also, the 69th website lists B Btry being attached. Do we assume that A Btry was also attached? Would each Btry have a motorpool at that time?

We have not found his DD214 yet. I really don't think we will. However, some relatives think there are some more papers that we haven't found so I have not completely given up on the 214.

Would the DD214 list his intial units before the 977th. I know that my DD214 lists my training unit as well as permanent unit. but I don't know what a WWII era 214 looks like.

Rob

4. MARNE

MARNE Member

Ok. Heres the thing, was your grandfather in Battery "A"? If so, with Battery " B" the only battery section being assigned to a division then the only unit he belonged to was the Corps. Level Artillery the 997th. He has no affiliation to the 69th Division only those of Battery "B". He'd have been back in his unit attending to whatever was asked of him from his battery commander or his commanding officer.

You see during WWII An Artillery Battalion was comprised like this:

Battalion Headquarters
    "A" Battery
    "B" Battery
    "C" Battery
    "D" Battery

Now there is a potential for an "E" Battery I have seen them but, its not that common, your probably real safe with just the four batteries.

So if only "B" Battery was assigned everyone else was up at Corp. level doing whatever it was they were assigned to do on an everyday basis. Also whe he arrrived he arrived witht he 997th FA Bn. and was assigned to whatever Corps. he was assigned too.

Each battery didn't have a motorpool, they'd of had a battalion motorpool.

Regards,
    MARNE

5. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

OK, I see. So it looks like "A" battery was pretty much "In the rear with the gear" at this point, right? That could explain his stories about driving officers around and transferring supplies, etc. If the Battery was not combat active he could, being a lowly E-2, have spent a good bit of his time doing detail work.

So would each Btry have mechanics in the unit but all combined to work in the BN motorpool?

6. MARNE

MARNE Member

I wouldn't necessarily call them "in the rear with the gear"...more like "in reserve." So, they still remain combat ready at a moments notice whenever needed with whatever division on whatever level.

As for mechanics per battery? No. The battalion motorpool was seperate from any of the batteries and what not.

MARNE

7. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

Hey Marne. We were down in Savannah a couple years ago for a big BAR Savannah event. Man you guys have some viscous ants! Great city though.

8. MARNE

MARNE Member

I was there! I was a spectator but, I had a number of friends who were participating that worked for Coastal Heritage Society who co-sponsored the event.

Theres suppose to be another big Battle of Savannah this coming year since they have now completed the Spring Hill Redoubt. They're going to have the grand opening of the Battle of Savannah Battlefield Park on the actual day of the battle.

The redoubt looks great and is almost full scale!

Regards,
    MARNE

9. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

I am beginning to think I am confused about the DD214. What I have is from the courthouse and is titled: Record of Honorable Discharge from the Army of the United States. After a paragragh of certification it has "Enlisted Record and Report of Separation Honorable Discharge". Is this the DD214 or is there another form that is more detailed?

http://twigchair.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/Discharge.jpg

10. MARNE

MARNE Member

The DD214? Your looking for his Honorable Discharge papers?

MARNE

11. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

Yes, I have the honorable discharge. The DD214 is a different form isn't it?

12. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

Just found this online. I guess I do have both in a way.

All veterans from 1950 to the present time have a DD214 issued, those who have served during WWII do not possess a DD214, there document is known as a Discharge/Separation paper issued between 1941 and 1946: War Department Document No. 55-53. The only exception to the DD214 or Discharge/Separation Paper is a Certificate of Military Service issued in lieu of the original aforementioned documents. In case of misplacement of these documents and/or they were never recorded at your local courthouse certified copies can be obtained via vetrecs.archives.gov or by a SF180, which our office will assist you with.

13. MARNE

MARNE Member

There ya go! You got it!...SWEET! :D :D

Regards,
    MARNE

14. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

I found the unit history online by using the search engine Dogpile.com. The fellow that put this together is apparently a vet of the unit and lives in AZ. I am trying to get in touch with him.

http://www.crawfordenterprise.com/997/

There is a period of time in the unit history where some men were pulled out for a provisional truck company to move suppplies to forward units for a few weeks. It's starting to come together.

15. kramerd2

kramerd2 Member

Rob! I was so excited to read your post! My Dad and your Grandfather may have known each other! He wore the same patch, but I,m still searching for his unit! Stay tuned

16. AtkinsWWII

AtkinsWWII recruit

My grandfather has the same HQ ETO Communication Zone patch. Thanks to this site I was able to find out the name. Thanks!!! I just wish I could find more information on the331st QM Depot Co he was with.

17. JFWB

JFWB recruit

Hi, Rob:

I'm also looking for information on my grandfather. He was in WWII. I do not know much about his service besides he was a medic, and his enlistment date. You said you were able to find his discharge at the courthouse. I noticed you are in WV...that's where my grandfather was. Could you give me any tips on how to obtain info from the library? I live on the Pacific Coast, so unfortunately, I can't drop in and pay them a visit. He enlisted in Fayette County, but I believe he lived in Raleigh County.

Any advice could be helpful.

Thank you,
    Jessica

18. WW 2 Connections

WW 2 Connections Member

The Troop Ship SS Santa Barbara departed the New York Port of Embarkation January 9, 1944, arriving at Liverpool, England, January 18, 1944. The Troop Ship USAT Thomas H. Barry departed Le Havre, France, December 7, 1945, arriving at the New York Port of Embarkation. Sorry, I do not have a date for the USAT Thomas H. Barry's arrival back in the USA. Good luck with your quest.

Richard V. Horrell