Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trying to ID a USMC publication, re T/O data

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by GaryJKennedy, Feb 7, 2019.

1. GaryJKennedy

GaryJKennedy New Member

I've been reminded recently of an old query I never got an answer to, so thought I'd ask in case anyone has a clue.

About 20 years ago, I sent a query off to the US Marine Corps Historical Center, then based at the Washington Navy Yard. I was trying to find some info on the Table of Organization for USMC units and they kindly sent me a little bundle of papers back. Included amongst them was a 'wire diagram' for the May 1945 USMC Rifle Company (see attached).

Now I didn't realise it at the time but it would take me another decade to get hold of copies of the actual Tables of Organization, and when it came to the G-Series documents there was a nasty surprise awaiting. For some reason I've never found, the May 1945 and subsequent T/Os all exclude details of both crew-served weapons (machine guns, mortars, even 2.36-in rocket launchers) and vehicles (trucks to tanks and tractors). You get personnel and personal weapons in full detail but nought else.

Now that wire diagram I was sent ten years prior does include this missing data, so I can't help but wonder if it isn't included in a manual or pamphlet somewhere. Problem is, I don't know what publication this page was taken from. It could be an instructional manual, a training pamphlet, an article or whatever. It looks to be printed, suggesting a wider circulation than someone's personal notes.

There was a publication pulling together all the T/Os for the F-Series Mar Inf Regt, less the changes made of Okinawa which are pencilled to the copies of the full T/Os;

The organization of the Marine infantry regiment : tables of organization approved 27 March 1944 : Marine Corps Schools (U.S.) : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I've not found any reference to such a document fro the G-Series Regt, and those tables were superseded by 1947 I believe. I know I could email the Marine Corps archives, but I'd really like to be able to give them a steer, as they've probably got a few books around the place.

Attached is the page, it's a very long sheet, looks like it was originally a foldout. If anyone might have a clue which publication it was copied from, I'd love to know so I can try and track down a fuller copy.

Thanks,

Gary

Attached Files: