Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trying to identify WW2 movie from 80's

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Grizzly1943, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Grizzly1943

Grizzly1943 New Member

Hello all,

I'm trying to identify a WW2 movie from my youth. I remember a few scenes from the movie but believe it's the same movie. It could be two movies.

I recall watching them in late 80's.

Scene 1:

American troops enter an abandoned church located in a field. Once inside the church they notice the shirts underneath the uniforms have a blue collar. They quietly leave the church and one alerts the others that these are new German uniforms and these soldiers were not dead. A gun battle then gets underway.

Scene 2: [might be same movie]

A German squad lines up on runway and gets a blasting from around 3-4 German officers. The squad noticed a group of fighter planes approaching and tries to warn the officers. The incompetent officers continue to shout at the soldiers. Everyone then looks up at the planes firing down at them. I believe the squad had enough and opened fire at the officers and then fled.

Scene 3: [certain it's same movie as scene 2]

German soldiers are eating in a mess hall. A group of soldiers didn't like one particular guy and decided to spit and blow mucus in his soup. The soldier returned to eat the soup and didn’t notice.

I appreciate any help! I'm trying to watch this movie again after 35 years :)

Thanks,
    Grizzly1943

2. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

That first scene sounds like "The Big Red One." There were "dead" infantry mixed with the Panzer men, and Lee Marvin points out the white piping on the epaulettes.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Agree the first is Big Red One, the other two may be Cross of Iron, but not sure.

4. Grizzly1943

Grizzly1943 New Member

Thank you all. I have the bluray arriving tomorrow :)

I've been browsing for days watching youtube and I think I found the second movie...I believe it's this:

The Misfit Brigade

I can see the third scene in the trailer! lol.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The scene from The Big Red One where The Sergeant recognizes the wrong color waffenfarbe on the German uniform was outside and in an armored vehicle.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Wasn't he partially out of the vehicle, playing dead? (I saw that one on the mess decks of an repurposed LST, IIRC.)