Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Trying to learn more about GG Grandfathers assigned unit

Discussion in 'WW2|ORG - WWII Open Resource Group' started by David Gibson, May 14, 2021.

1. David Gibson

David Gibson New Member

Researching my GG Grandfather, Found his grave marker shows the unit as 419th AAA AW BN CAC. Was able to decipher the acronyms but not finding anything about the unit.

Need assistance in getting any information about the unit.

Thank you

David Gibson

2. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

419th Anti-Aircraft Artillery (Automatic Weapons) Battalion Coast Artillery Corps

David Gibson likes this.
  3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I believe this is your GG Grandfather: Lawrence Play Lewis (1906-1958) - Find A Grave...

And in case you don't already have this:

Lewis, Lawrence P (1906)-1.jpg Lewis, Lawrence P (1906)-2.jpg

One thing to keep in mind is that the unit indicated may only be the last unit to which he was attached. At the end of WWII, many soldiers were transferred to various units for transport back to the USA to be discharged. In some cases, the unit on their discharge ended up being the unit they were with when discharged and not the unit with which they served through the majority of the War. Having said that, it is very possible that the 419th AAA AW Bn was his primary unit, but you will probably need to do some research into his service record to verify that.

4. firstf1abn

firstf1abn Member

You need to get a copy of his discharge, which, with NARA shut down is problematic. With the discharge, you could compare his embarkation dates (if there are any) with unit info. Also, WWII vets were encouraged to file a copy of their discharge with their county clerk. If you know where he resided upon discharge, contact that clerk's office.

Ancestry.com has VA headstone applications on line, assuming that's where you got the unit info. The VA headstone application required proof of service. If the funeral home helped with the application, they might have a copy of the discharge (the headstone files I've seen don't include the discharge).

Finally, USAHEC in Carlisle isn't hiding from COVID at the beach (like NARA). Ask them if they have a brief unit summary for the 419th. Still a ways to go before hitching your wagon to the 419th, as has been said.

Good luck.

TD-Tommy776 and David Gibson like this.
  5. David Gibson

David Gibson New Member

A lot of good information and ideas provided.

Thought it was unusual to find no information about the 419th. Will apply what you all have taught me and see what I can find out.

6. TD-Tommy776

The NARA's (IMO excessive) COVID restrictions are a major problem for doing any kind of WWII research. More than likely, the unit that is on the Headstone application I posted was taken off of his discharge. However, as firstf1abn mentioned, the discharge may have clues that can help. Besides the embarkation dates, any awards listed may reference the General Orders by which they were issued. Also, the awarding of the EAME (European-African-Middle Eastern), Asiatic-Pacific, or American campaign medals may indicate whether or not he served with another unit. Of course, we'll need to know more about the 419th AAA (AW) Bn. before that info will be helpful.

Slipdigit likes this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Interestingly, Stanton has only one listing for the 419th. It is listed as a Coast Artillery unit (419th CA Bn (AA) Composite))
    3 Sep 42 Adak Island Aleutians/31 Jul 44 Cp Swift Tex

David Gibson and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

I found that as well. I know there was a lot of re-organizing, shifting around, reassigning, and such with those units during the war. Unfortunately I don't know much more than that.
    I also came across a reference to a "419th AAA" supporting an attack by the 29th ID in the hedgerows in France, but I could not find any corroboration for it.

David Gibson likes this.