Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Turkey apologizes

Discussion in 'The Stump' started by Sloniksp, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

A letter of apology has been sent to president Putin for the downing of the Russia SU 24 causing the death of one of the pilots after he was shot at from the ground while parachuting...

Along with the apology a promise of compensation for the family was mentioned and the prosecution of the culprit. The case against the suspected shooter has been reopened....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/turkey-apologizes-for-shooting-down-russian-warplane-last-year/2016/06/27/d969e0ea-3c6d-11e6-9e16-4cf01a41decb_story.html

Seems Erdogan has caved from mounting pressure and isolation from multiple nations on numerous issues. Best to take a step back and reevaluate the countries prioritie/s me thinks.

I used "Washington Post" as to not be accused of Russian propaganda :D

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A bit late in my opinion. Btw I naively hoped the apologies were about 1915......

Sloniksp likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

This does highlight the hazard of modern combat operations in which assets move so fast and decisions must be made far too quickly to get the full picture or guidance from above.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Maybe it was, or not but that Erdogan will never admit.

5. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Exactly my thoughts after I've seen the title.

6. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

The falling out of Davotagalu(?)with Erdogan was IMO a reason for his resignation... Rumors have it that the former PM was the architect behind Turkeys foreign policies....

Once he resigned it was much easier to mend ties with certain nations (Israel included). IMO, the apology clearly shows who was at fault for the tragedy...

7. Takao

Takao Ace

Problem is...Was Davutoglu really the one at fault, or is he being made the scapegoat as Turkey's diplomatic position became increasingly untenable. Various reports are mixed, but some make a good case that he was made the scapegoat.

8. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

That I'm not sure and while you being up an interesting point, some prominent Turkish journalists claim otherwise...

One thing is for sure his foreign policy was a bit suspect and he personally took responsibility for giving the order to shoot the plane....

I'm sure we will know more as more info comes out?

9. Takao

Takao Ace

Maybe...Maybe not.

He backtracks little over a month later
    https://www.rt.com/news/327767-davutoglu-backtracks-jet-downing/

10. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Yes yes I too have read this. Seems the whole issue has become a mess in the country with figures constantly changing stories/events etc. it will be interesting to see how this continues to unfold in the future... There are many in Turkey who claim that it was his extra conservative foreign policies that set in motion Turkeys current dilemma on the international arena. Again, I'm sure more information will come out until then it seems it's anybody's guess?

Bravo on using RT as a source btw ;) some may be shocked that such a source is used. With more and more awards being won by RT and an ever growing following, perhaps others will start taking it more seriously in here as well? Then again, some won't.

Cheers

11. green slime

green slime Member

I wonder if anyone every expresses the same sentiment about Fox news....

"Bravo on using Fox news as a source... perhaps others will take it more seriously now"

12. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

:D I watch FoxNews daily and have yet to hear anything on there concerning this letter of apology. In fact I haven't heard anything on MSNBC or CNN....

Also RT has been criticized as nothing but Russian propaganda so it's use as a source is refreshing.

13. Takao

Takao Ace

It has been up on the Fox News website for 3 days now...
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/06/27/russia-turkish-president-sorry-for-shoot-down-russian-military-jet.html

I believe it is called "playing to the audience" or "playing to the crowd."

14. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка