Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

TV and Social Media - Are You Addicted

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Due to circumstance, cancelled cable and internet.
    Hooked up an antenna, so am able to receive 3 free air channels.
    Used to complain about 25 channels of crap...try 3. It could be the next ice water challenge.
    Add the fact they are 3 Canadian channels (this is where the truth that Canadians are boring comes from)...
    Dr Ho rules the airwaves after dark here.
    During peak hours, we can look forward to such gems as - City Line, The Marilyn Dennis Show etc.
    Try abandoning TV- let me know how that goes...i've had to actually do things now...
    Recall -Night of the Living Dead (?), where zombies invade a house, only to be trapped there because they saw the TV playing- allowing family to escape.
    TV/social media is ruining our civilization.

I hear typewriters are making a comeback.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Poppy, I got you the "unplugged" version since that seemed more appropriate: :cool:

Poppy likes this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I went 'unplugged' for about 3 years relying on over the air TV. Being near a major market I had about 90 channels on average to choose from, 25 or so were in Spanish, 5 'Asian' 20 odd religious, and maybe 15 'shopping' channel's. This left about 25 total 'watchable' channels. Watched a lot of TV shows from the 50's, 60's, 70's etc, a good number of grade z movies. PBS was my best channel. Needless to say I hit my DVD/Blu-ray collection very hard.

I moved about 15 miles as the crow fly's and dropped down to 2 channel's. Needless to say went back to the infernal dish.

Poppy likes this.
  4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I remember living in Gove (Nuhlunbuy)...we had 1 channel...ABC. We got out more...
    I sent in a picture once to the station when i was 9 and they put it on instead of the test pattern. I would recommend an Ipad or like...watch tv...Youtube...films, email, facebook, games, internet! And very portable.

Poppy likes this.
  5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thanks men.
    I'd prefer 50s 60s 70s programming to today's non stop creepy left programming.
    Give me-
    The Honeymooners.
    I love Lucy
    Get Smart
    Gunsmoke
    I could go on for hours.
    Trying to save money.
    I use my stoopid fone for everything now.
    Will say, tv has done some new things like educational programming.
    Forged in Fire may not be PBS, but it is a whole lot more informative and less offensive than the kardashebuttz.

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Then you'd love ME TV. I get it on my digital antenna. Haven't had cable for many, many years.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Poppy, you'd have liked the goodies and Monkey Magic...very UN PC...
    The goodies were three young blokes looking for work who lived together...one a communist hippy, another a Queen loving right winger and a scientist that didn't get into politics...and its 80s brother "The young ones" - A hippy living with a left wing student, living with a con man, living with a punk bent on violence...
    And Monkey used to chase monsters and yell "come back here poofta!"
    But then you'd also love Benny Hill, Dick Emmery, Paul Hogan (before he was Mick Dundee)! Aaaagh a breath of fresh air...

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Back in the day, we got a lot of BBC. Monty Python, we would be certain to watch. There were no vcr's. If a program was scheduled, you'd better be ready for when it aired.
    I won 1st prize at Edmontons largest bar- Barry T's. Halloween dressed as the Mounty riding the granny.
    Chicks crawled all over me that night. Sniff.