Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

U.S. Marine Artillery on Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by devil dog, Jun 4, 2012.

1. devil dog

devil dog Member

Across the litter on Iwo Jima's black sands, Marines of the 4th Division shell Jap positions cleverly concealed back from the beaches. Here, a gun pumps a stream of shells into Jap positions inland on the tiny volcanic island
    View attachment 16668

All comments are welcomed

Tom

Attached Files:

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wow...this is a fine effort.
    Concentrate on the plate and one IS transported to an action somewhere...I think the slight blurring of the 3rd and 4th photos may have been a mistake but lends the picture an authentic feel...
    My two little whinges would be the feeder at the back with his foot arcing the air...whilst real, an artist soon learns that depicting what IS real doesnt always LOOK real...The other is the gun itself, whilst beautfully done, it is a little sharp in its colours...id rub the surfaces down a tad...the barrel writing is a little too crisp as is the colours.
    Other than that id say that this raises the bar...a great effort.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm always impresssed with your dioramas. You have done another masterful job. I would agree with CAC that the gun is a bit too "new" looking. While I am not a modeler, I would think that making the artillery piece look more used would make this even better.

4. devil dog

devil dog Member

LRusso & CAC

Thanks for the comments. I tried to show the Marines firing at soon as they hit the beach on the first day

Thankls

Tom