Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

u.s. navy uniforms

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by tjader, Apr 8, 2007.

1. tjader

tjader recruit

im not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this but today i took out my great grandfathers WWII navy uniform. Its black with no insignia or other markings except for a golden eagle inside of a gold cirle on the upper portion of your right chest. I've searched all over the internet and have come up empty handed on what the symbol means and the significance of the black uniform. Previously my uncle back in the early 70's tried to find out information on what he did and it was classified. Does anyone know the significance to this uniform and/or the insignia?

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

If the uniform is a jumper style one (pullover top, bell bottom pants with a button front flap) then it is enlisted. Solid "black" (navy blue) is either the dress blue or undress blue (working) uniform. The gold eagle in a circle is a patch showing draftee status, that's all. Sounds like the uniform of a basic seaman.

3. Col. Hessler

Col. Hessler Member

Does it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

If so, it is the Honorable Service Lapel Pin or "The Ruptured Duck" as it was dubbed by some of the vets who thought it looked more like a duck than an eagle. It was given to all servicemembers who were honorably discharged. The Ruptured Duck showed the MPs that the wearer was not AWOL.

4. T. A. Gardner

That's probably the one on the uniform. If there is white piping around the cuffs and on the collar flap (enlisted) then this is the rank designation at the time. A plain jumper meant seaman recruit. There could be one to three white pipings on the cuffs and collar designating variously seaman apprentice, able seaman, etc. translating today into rank equivalents of E-1 to 3.

5. ppowley

ppowley recruit

Do minesweeper crewmen's upper left sleeve patches differ from ship to ship? My dad was on a motor minesweeper, and I have been trying to find if his patch was unique to his ship, or if all had the same patch. The one I am speaking of has a light background, dark edge, and a mine in the lower center, along with a few other markings.
    I found another minesweeper patch (1/3 each red, white and blue), but cannot find where it was worn. Could it have been on the right sleeve? It appears that my dad has something white on his right sleeve just above the cuff.

6. Vampkiki

Vampkiki recruit

I have my grandfathers uniform which is similar to that one also...which is why i googled and found the page actually..... My grandfather passed away a few years ago and I was told that he was a Navy pilot...I have what i think is his uniform, but am curious to know if its complete and accurate since it was a rummage through an attic to find...I have the dark blue top and button up bell bottoms as described above....it has the white stripes on collar and sleeves and a white eagle crest above a propeller with wings crest and two red stripes.....the uniform also has a stripped shirt with it which i would imagine to be the under shirt....but it is red white and blue striped with buttons on either shoulder...so my questions are...is that the correct shirt that went with the original uniform? was there a sash or scarf that went under the oversized collar? and i know he was a pilot..but what was his actual rank? I appreciate any knowledge anyone can share with me..thanks.

7. SaltyShellback

SaltyShellback Member

Vampkiki-The rating badge you described is for a 2nd Class Petty Officer Aviation Machinist Mate. The winged propeller is his rating (job), the two red chevrons are his rate (paygrade) E-5. Is it on the right or left sleeve? In the Navy only officers have rank, enlisted have rates and ratings. A knotted neckerchief goes under the jumper's flap, around the neck and hangs down the front under the lower point of the 'V'. As far as I know I've never heard of anything other than a plain white t-shirt being worn under the jumper since WWII. He could have been an enlisted pilot or an aircrewman. If you have any photos to post it would certainly help. I am looking for my copy of the Blue Jackets Manual from WWII right now. It was left to me by my wife's late great uncle who was in the Navy during WWII. So I'll have more information for you later.

EDIT-I was thinking in terms of todays paygrades. In WWII, P.O. 2nd Class was a paygrade 3, and made a whopping $72.00 USD base pay. If he had recieved flight orders his pay would increase by 50% of his base pay (Blue Jackets Manual, 1940, pg. 159-160), plus any awards recieved would increase his pay.

Take care,
    Salty

8. sbrizek

sbrizek recruit

Two of my father's WWII blue navy jumpers have the white piping on the cuffs, with two cuff buttons, and white piping on the collar flap, with the two stars in each corner. One blue jumper has no white piping and no stars and the ends of the sleeves are plain, with no buttons. Can anyone tell me what such a jumper was used for, and at what piont in the war it was used? If it helps in getting an answer to this, I would add that my father served from basic training in January, 1942 to his discharge in November, 1947.

Thanks for the help.

S. Brizek
    North Haledon, NJ

9. T. A. Gardner

The jumper without pipping is called "undress" blues or, "working" blues. That is, it is a uniform intended for everyday use in a work enviroment that is relatively clean or one where the dungaree uniform is not allowed.

10. chrishaus123

chrishaus123 recruit

DO any of you guys know what the flap on the back of the Enlisted Navy Dress Blue Uniform was used for. I just found my grandpa's uniform and saw that and could only speculate what it was used for???

11. T. A. Gardner

It is an anacronism from an earlier era. Sailors on sailing ships of the US Navy in the 19th century and earlier often wore their hair in ponytails and had a habit of using tar (as used about the ship for cauking and waterproofing) to hold the hair in place. The flap was introduced informally at first as a way of keeping the tar off of the sailor's uniform where and when one was worn.
    This is where sailors became known as "Tars" and the flap just became a decoration later on when the practice of tarring one's long hair was no longer fashionable or allowed.

12. Cincy-Scott

Cincy-Scott recruit

The term "tar" or more formally, "Jack Tar" was a term used heavily during the British Empire. Prior to waterproof material, many seamen would coat their clothing in tar to waterproof it. The real etymology of the term varies based on who you talk to, but very interesting to see that it is connected with the "flap" on the Navy jumpers. Good stuff!

13. SamKimpton

SamKimpton recruit

Incorrect: the white stripes on the cuffs and "collar flap" have nothing whatsoever to do with rank and appear on dress blue jumpers for all ranks up to CPO or Chief Petty Officer. The jumpers with no stripes on them are part of the undress blues which is more of a work uniform than a dress uniform.

14. T. A. Gardner

In WW 2 they did. Today that is true. All enlisted uniforms have the white piping on them. Chiefs (having retired as one) don't wear the jumper uniform but rather the coat and tie of the officer's uniform. See for example, an old copy of The Bluejacket's manual