Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Uncle Bill

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Ewan Reid, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Ewan Reid

Ewan Reid New Member

Hi all my name is Ewan 63 years old 30 years in fire service ,I live in Monifieth Scotland My Uncle William Keay was a corporal in the 6th Battalian of the Seaforth Highlanders he was from Alyth and was married to my mothers sister Christina Keay my Aunty and Uncle had Twins Bill and Winnie who never saw their dad. Corporal Keay died on 23 January 1944 in Italy he is buried along with 3 other Seaforth highlanders who died on the same day ,in minturno cemetery on the west
    Coast of Italy
    I visited his grave in 1980 but after finding out he had been intered to minturno in 1945 it was a very emotional visit knowing I was the first in the family to visit him it was and is a lovely setting well kept.
    Any information about the battle he could have died in would be a great comfort to finally put him to rest knowing how it happened along with his colleagues
    RIP UNCLE BILL AND FRIENDS

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Owen

Owen O

All I can offer are a few lines from The Fifth British Division 1939-1945 by Aris.
    Page 195.

22nd January 1944
    It was arranged that 17 Inf Bde , now relieved and re-assembled , should attack the Natale feature and the spur to the west of it.
    The object was to open up the way for an attack on Santa Maria.
    The Brigade plan was for 6 Seaforth to go for point 156 and 2 RSF for point 141. 2 Northamptons were to push on to point 156 via Santa Maria the following day.
    The attack went in at 1600 hrs. On the left 2 RSF suffered casualties on their way to the start line......(what follows is alot of info on 2 RSF attack - too much to type when this request is about 6 Seaforth)

.....The Seaforth likewise were unable to reach their objectives in much the same circumstances, so the Northamptons remained uncommitted.

I also suggest appyling to the MoD for his service records.
    Get a copy of military service records

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You should also post this on our sister forum ww2talk.com. They have a more British outlook and might be able to give you more information. Good luck!