Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Uncle's Final Pay Voucher & unit served

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by Sam Chappell, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Sam Chappell

Sam Chappell New Member

Hello everyone,

First time poster. I sent off for my uncle's OMPF and found out that it was destroyed in the 1973 fire. But they did have his final pay voucher. I was happy to receive it, but now I have even more questions!

My uncle was born in 1901, so he was pretty old to be in WW2. The pay voucher shows he was inducted on 24 Oct 1942. It then says "Recalled to AD 7 Nov 1942".

It shows his company as Co. N, 7th QMTR, QMTRC" in Camp Lee, VA. I am assuming this is a Quartermaster unit.

Anyways, it next shows a discharge at Camp Lee, VA, for reason "Hon Disch per Sec X AR 615-360 & Sec 11 WD Cir 397 dated Dec 7 1942 and 2nd Ind Hq QMRTC dated Jan 19 1943."

So, if I am reading this right, he was inducted in October, reported to Camp Lee in November, and was discharged in December? I understand the discharge reason was because of his advanced age. But why would they have gone through all the trouble to induct him, send him to Camp Lee, and then discharge him?

I have several pictures of my uncle in his service uniform at what looks like a 1940s style camp (white clapboard barracks). I also have a few pictures of him riding in a jeep.

Family lore says that he brought back a German glass clock from the war - now maybe my grandmother was confusing another one of her children (who actually did go to Europe and fight in the 1940s). Or it could be my uncle went to Europe and brought back the clock from WW1. he would have been young (17 or so), but I guess that's still possible.

Are the pictures taken while he was at basic training, and he washed out because he was too old for the physical tasks required? I'm really perplexed by this one. Or could he have been in the service prior (maybe in the 1920s or 30s) and they recalled him because he was already trained, but then let him go? It does say "Recalled to AD" above. Recalled to me means he was active duty at some point prior.

I appreciate anyone's insight into this mystery! Thanks!

Sam

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You may need to find War Department Circular 397 and refer to section 11. You should be able to get a copy of this from the National Archives.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..my grandfather was inducted into the service for a very short time, if I remember correctly....this was right before WW1 ended..I wish I knew more
    ..for your case, possibly the people doing the inducting were just ''following orders''--like a conveyor line---pushing them through and then they were ''sorted out'' later......?