Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Understanding Dad's information

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Raymond Jr, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Raymond Jr

Raymond Jr Member

Thanks, Tommy. I can fill in a couple more pieces:

Enlisted Reserve Corp was, evidently, what later became the Army Reserves. Discharged soldiers (maybe just enlistees, not draftees?) are placed in the ERC and can be recalled to active duty? When my dad was inducted on April 15, he was placed in the ERC and sent home so they didn't have to pay and feed a soldier they weren't ready for. He entered active service one week later. I don't know if he was scheduled to return then or if he waited for a recall notice. That's why it says his pay was due from the April 22 recall from ERC.

The Cl (CL) N and S refer to classes of allotments, but I haven't determined what they were for. His Class N allotment was for $6.70 of his monthly pay to go toward some expense or fund (a deduction). On that first payroll, they deducted $6.70 for April, $6.70 for May and $6.70 for "Adv" or in advance, to bring him up to date. The Class S (I think that's an S) allotment was effective May 1 and apparently not charged in advance so they deducted for the month of May at $3.75. The Class F allotment of $22 was what was sent home to his wife, I'm pretty sure.

2. Natman

Natman Member

I found this allotment change request form of my Dad's. It indicates money he was sending to his mother as Class E.

Steve

Attached Files:

3. Laturnojd

Laturnojd New Member

Hi Raymond, I've been reading this thread, and I'm also looking for information for someone in this unit. I know my grandfather was in the 549th, but i'm not sure on what battery. I was wondering if anything you have might reference him. Does the photo you have list the names of the whole battery? do you have anything else pertaining to the unit? I know from seeing the photos and other things on the 87th site that he was not listed with C battery, but thats about all i know as of right now. Anything you might know would be really appreciated. Thanks. His name was Joseph D. Laturno, and he was from Port Huron, Mi if that helps at all.

4. Russter

Russter New Member

Hi Raymond
    I too am looking for my Grandfather's information. He was in the 549th AAA. His paperwork says it was the 549th AAA AW Battery D although some of it says 549th AAA AW Med Det. I also have his Victory letters that he sent home. By correlating the dates and locations, I believe he was at the Battle of the Bulge. I am digging as much as I can. I have an appointment with a man Tuesday to try to apply for all of his records from the Archives. I would love any info you find on your search.

5. Kevin JV

Kevin JV New Member

20211211_154418.jpg 20211112_154059.jpg 20211211_154400.jpg 20211112_153305.jpg
    Hello Ray Jr.
    I'm a new guy here. Researching my father-in-laws service history. I found this site and your content regarding the 549th AAA Battalion. I have a photograph of the battalion and a Lithograph map of the tour in Europe. It seems a coincidence that Raymond D Weston is in the same battalion as my father-in-law William A Ulrich. Raymond is top row #1 left to right. And William is fifth row #17 left to right. I only met my father-in-law once in October the year he died as we visited him in the VA Hospital in Jefferson City , Missouri. He'd lived there separated from my mother-in-law to be for at least 10 years. I was very honored to meet him being the Son of a Navy Veteran. I promised to take care of his daughter who I've been married to since 1985. I've attached the photo, discharge notice 20211211_154418.jpg 20211112_154059.jpg 20211211_154418.jpg 20211112_154059.jpg 20211211_154400.jpg and lithograph map. I'm collecting resources to get his records and fathers from the archives. Hope this information is interesting.

Attached Files: