Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

understanding morning report

Discussion in 'War44 General Forums' started by lynne sidaway, Mar 8, 2018.

1. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Hello again, i have a morning report

upload_2018-3-8_16-23-3.png

"DOW, initial wounds not reported" can anyone give me an idea what it means by not reported please?

Thank you all

Attached Files:

2. lwd

lwd Ace

I suspect it means that they don't have much if any information on the initial wounds. That would include the extent, severity, and areas wounded as well as where it took place and or the wounding agent. I'm not an expert on this sort of thing though.

lynne sidaway likes this.
  3. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

I hadn't thought of that.......... I was thinking that maybe it meant he died from the initial wounds (ie not fully recovered) and they weren't reported to those in charge.
    i'm no expert either unfortunately, thanks for your reply, it's something else to consider

4. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

It means that there was no entry in a previous morning report of him being WIA. In other words, the first record of his wounding was this one.

5. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Excellent , thank you. ...... So sometime between the 25th July and the 7 August he was WIA but it was not included in the morning report? So he was wounded twice?? Sorry if i appear dull! [​IMG]

6. RichTO90

Yes, sometime between 25 July when he was RTD and 6 August when the report of him RTD was made or 7 August when he was reported DOW he suffered a second mortal wound. I suspect the reports of 6 and 7 August were the company first sergeant and or clerk catching up. A lot of it may be related to what his unit was doing. What unit is it?

7. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

He was 116th Infantry/29th Division around Vire E company

8. RichTO90

Okay, yes, the 29th ID and XIX Corps were heavily engaged at Tessy sur Vire from 25 July until 6 August when the 29th took Vire.

9. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Thank you very much for your replies, you have been most helpful. I was a bit puzzled with the quote'' initial wounds not reported" but now it makes sense.
    This is a wonderful forum. :)

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

He could have been cleared through another unit's medical detachment and reports of his wounding/death did not make it to his unit until the date given.

A staff sergeant in the platoon of the subject of my book was wounded/MIA for a week in late 1944. He was involved in an MVA in the rear areas of an adjacent division and his location did not make it back through channels very quickly.

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I would also check the MRs after 7 August. Sometimes they amend or correct the MR entries at a later date as more information becomes available.