Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unknown U-Boat Emblem / Shield

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by mswilhelmgustloff, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

I subscribed and posted. Here's hoping. Thanks again Erich!

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

good Eddie, I will be watching the responses to your posed questions on the German site. Here's hoping you get some conclusive answers.

personally I still think your U-Boot was just stationary at Gotenhafen and not part of the training Flottille based there.

well lets wait and see then.

3. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

It could be, but it still would be great o have a number with her. Gudmundur and I have been corresponding online and he believes that the best answer is the U-78. I had thought this as well because it was with the 22nd Flottille which was connected to the 2 ULD which was trained onboard the Gustloff, and U-78 was in Gotenhafen during December of 1942. But I saw that the emblem did not match, so I didn't think of it. He later told me he thought the same, but some u-boats had many emblems - not all documented - which makes that one the best bet for him.

4. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Another thing I noticed as well is that in most pictures I see of the Type VII, there is a hole in the forward part of the conning tower with a plug for what looks like fuel refill. This is not on the images of the mystery u-boat, but I noticed that up close, it looks like it was covered over with a piece of metal. You can barely see what looks like a circle indentation or outline where it would be. Mean anything?

5. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

I added a few updates to the site with what people have been telling me. I did find one more photo with
    "Gangdienst in Hamburg - 3.42."
    Corridor-Serice in Hamburg.
    Some Kind of oversight / guard service on Board.

And there is a hand written number on the backs of some - though I doubt it means much.

6. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Eddie, seems that you refers at the foghorn. In this library, a collection of articles, written by Dougie Marindale, an excellent modeller, you can read various articles about the theme. Go to: AMP - Accurate Model Parts > DOCUMENTS > SUBMARINES > U-BOATS > The Wolf Pack: A Collection Of U-Boat Modelling Articles. Concretely, in Type VII U-Boat Modifications article.

Some of them, previous permission, are translated at Spanish and offered/exposed in U-Historia webpage, the page that I'm collaborate from many years as you must known.

Jan.

7. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Eddie: I have an idea, Is possibly that this emblem are from a common interest from all the presents of this reunion, as members of the same promotion, perhaps or conmemorative act? Note at the position of the cups and smilies....:cool::rolleyes:

Jan.

8. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

All I can say is that I am sure this is a Christmas party due to the green garland hung from the lights and around the room's pillars. I was trying to even look at the coasters - in my photos, they almost look like red and white Hamburg South American Line logos on the table.

Eddie

9. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Hi, Eddie!.....
    How are you?

Any tolds me that you, at last resolve your mistery emblem/maling/wappen......but you don't say any word to us[​IMG]!!
    [​IMG]Wilhelm Gustloff Accomodation Liner & U-Boat Training Photo Album - Medium Souvenir Album

Jan.

10. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Apologies for now replying. I have been trying to keep pace with 5 or 6 different forums. The u-boat in question has been identified as the U-708. Thanks to all who helped!