Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Upcoming WW2 films list

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by PizzaDevil, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

A remake of the Dam Busters is coming. Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) did it. Gawd help the man if he screws the pooch on this.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I know of and are a fan of O.E. Hasse. He also was Colonel von Oaker (SP?) in the most excellent war movie: Decision Before Dawn. He played the part of a Panzer Colonel. I also know of but have yet to be able to see-the 08/15 trilogy and Der Arzt von Stalingrad. Do you remember the name of this movie about Wilhelm Canaris? I'd be most appreciative to know it's name. Also, are you familiar with Die Teufels General? It was remade and released in 2000. I'd like to find someone who knows of and or has seen both versions of this movie and to hear what they have to say about it.

As for inglorious bastards-ive seen a few trailers and its sealed my beliefs that its as stupid as the original movie was and will probably be much worse than the original so therefore, I aint going to waste any money to go see it.

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks for the tip on Dale Dyes movie. I had not heard of this one before and with his involvement in it-it will be truthfully done.

As a sort of Aussie fan myself-i'd love to see that movie about the Kokoda Trail.

4. KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX Member

Yea I'm really looking forward to this one... Peter Jackson has a fine collection of ww1 aircraft down here in New Zealand, so i think he's going to feel out the tone of the movie nicely. I think he could be filming part of it down here as well (Could be wrong)

I do know there was a bit of a debate on what to call Guy Gibson's black Labrador. I think they're going to drop the "N" and call it "Trigger"

5. Mike L

Mike L Member

KDRX,
    WW1 aircraft for remake of The Dambusters? A typo I hope.
    I do hope that the money spent on this film will be well spent and do justice to the men and the operation. Strategicially it might not have had a huge impact but tactically and from the morale and publicity it hit the spot perfectly at that time in the war.
    Any firm dates for UK release?
    I hear rumours of a remake of 'The Long Day's Dying' - but set in N Africa, translating the personal experiences of the front line soldier to that theatre. Not sure if it will work but I await the film (if it gets funding). The original film is not quite faithful to the book and I suspect a remake might be Hollywoodised to hell.

Mike

6. KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX Member

Yea sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant was that he is a big war aviation buff, so he's more inclined to go the extra mile with things people like us in this forum, would only really notice. In other words, no WW1 aircraft. :)

7. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

If they have any brains, they'd keep the dogs name true. But since they won't, the best though would keep the dog more or less out of the story, and just use lines like "Come here boy, good boy, etc."

Enterprise206 likes this.
  8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I see that the UK is also ruined by the PC crap :rolleyes: :rolleyes: And a BIG SIGH goes out because these jerks seem to not be able to look up a word in the Dictionary-to see what the word REALLY means!!!

9. KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX Member

Totally agree, I've been thinking of a good solution/compromise, but that's a clear winner for me. I do think though, if the original name is used it could end up taking the focus off what 617 did that night, and Barnes Wallis of course. It does seem PC has gone global...

10. Sads

Sads recruit

It's an interesting sign of the times... back in the '40s the "N" word was obviously not the serious racial slur it is today. It would be interesting to see if you could convince people that an historically accurate re-make calling the dog its original name would prove the makers ARE NOT racist, rather that they wish to demonstrate how the meaning and impact of a word has changed over such a short time, and how attitudes and society generally have changed for the better since then. For me the dog is an unnecessary part of the film anyway (even though I have an exact replica of that dog running around my back yard right now). If he had been killed and the mission failed then his role as a good luck charm would have been demonstrated. But he died and they succeeded so it really proves the dog was just a dog like any other, and that good luck charms or mascots are pure superstition.

11. KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX Member

Fair points... but isn't the N word racists in any context 40's or not? Surely in the 40's racism was more open and widespread ... Please correct me if i'm wrong. Unless it has a hidden meaning like the F aggot word i.e. "Bundle of sticks" i don't know of??

Despite that i'd like to see the dog in the movie, with his original name. Purely because that's how it was in the original.

12. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

There is a movie in production that is set to release in 2010.

It's called Dambusters. It is based on the novel with the same name by Paul Brickhill... which is based on true events.

From what I could gather, It's about an elite RAF team set out on a top secret mission to destroy important nazi dams in WW2 Germany.

The movie is still in production so there is no release date set, but it certainly sounds interesting.

Dambusters (2010) - MovieWeb.com

13. KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX Member

lol, nice avatar picture sunny! it looks like the nazi's were into breakdancing!!

14. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Ok guys,

Here's another for you... this one sounds great..

For those who read the book Agent ZigZag

There will be a movie released on the story of the Double agent Edward Arnold Chapman. He worked for the nazis to spy on the British.. but then tured to helping the Brits get top secret info from the Nazis.. really an interesting story

Eddie Chapman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tom Hanks is producer of the film

Agent Zigzag (2010) Movie

15. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

It's Hammer time!

16. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Here are some more really interesting upcomming movies for next year... I'm on a roll today... I should have just done one post instead of them being scattered...

THEY FOUGHT ALONE - To be announced...

starring Brad Pitt... about Col. Wendell Fertig's heroic adventure in the Japanese-occupied Philippine island of Mindanao... Based on a true story

link: They Fought Alone (TBA) Movie

BROTHERS IN ARMS (2010)

Directed by Denzel Washington

About an all Black tank Batallion in the Battle of the Bulge.

LINK: Brothers in Arms (2010) Movie

KILLING ROMMEL - 2010 possibly 2011

Based on the novel by Steven Pressfield

It's about a British battalion's attempt at defeating Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox, in the North African desert in 1942

sounds really interesting..

LINK: Killing Rommel (TBA) Movie

WARTIME LIES - To be Announced..

Holocaust movie about a jewish boy and his aunt witness slaughter in the warsaw ghetto .. Based on the Louis Begley's novel

LINK: Wartime Lies (TBA) Movie

And of course the ones I mentioned earlier..

Dambusters 2010
    Agent Zig Zag 2010

All for now ...

Suzie

17. KrazyDimondRX

KrazyDimondRX Member

"KILLING ROMMEL - 2010 possibly 2011

Based on the novel by Steven Pressfield

It's about a British battalion's attempt at defeating Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox, in the North African desert in 1942

sounds really interesting..

LINK: Killing Rommel (TBA) Movie"

Awesome!!! I read the book last year when i was still in the navy. Great book, i placed it in my top ten. If the movies half as good, definitely one to keep an ear out for..

18. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

Another upcoming movie set for 2010

"Mannerheim"

- Finnish Production

- based on the life of Marshal Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim.

- Will be the most expensive Finnish film production ever.

Solarfilms Inc. : The biggest Finnish film project ever

Sounds interesting!

Suzie

19. Karma

Karma Member

The Forgotten Soldier
    Directed by Paul Verhoeven

-Based on the book by Guy Sajer
    -Verhoeven directed movies such as Robocop and the Black Book
    -Casting and filming has already begun I think

20. tfer13

tfer13 Member