Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Upgraded my connection a wee bit.

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by OpanaPointer, May 7, 2019.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yeah. I haven't seen anything that indicates a threat of any rational significance.

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Exactly. Getting hit by lightening is far more likely.

3. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Please, lots of nonsense.
    There are two independent effects of electromagnetic radiation on human bodies:
    - dielectric heating (because we are mostly dielectric),
    - ionization.
    If someone wants more information about them, Wikipedia will gladly help. (Actually, there are two more direct and indirect DNA damage but let's not overdo it.)

Our bodies are very good at detecting heat (except a few parts of our bodies without thermoreceptors.) If there is too much radiation resulting in heat our bodies will alarm us at once.

The other (and totally independent) phenomenon - ionization is painless, we have no receptors capable to detect it.
    Ionization is a quantum phenomenon if the energy of a photon is insufficient nothing happens at all, there is no "a very slight chance."
    For this reason only ultraviolet light or worse is dangerous. Its photons have the punch to do it.

It's a very simplified explanation, but nothing can be done about it. The real thing is the mass of equations that models the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, photons, and molecules.
    Nothing can be gain here by the seat-of-the-pants procedure. All the things aren't intuitive.

The "sailors who got to close for to long to the radar transmitters" are thermal effects on vulnerable and usually lacking thermoreceptors parts of our bodies.
    It's no different from getting too close to fire.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. lwd

lwd Ace

Exactly. That's about the only way to cause cancer. Of course you would insist on ignoring or finally depreciating it.
    Actually most of our bodies don't have thermoreceptors. Those tend to be primarily on our epidermises. Now pain receptors may alert one to internal damage caused by heat but if it's radiation induced it's a bit late.
    But the energy state of atoms can vary thus varying the amount of energy required to cause ionization.
    And you are still ignoring the fact that radiation can break molecular bonds, which can be far weaker, and by the way those are what hold RNA and DNA together.
    They were getting significant whole body exposures by your theories they should have felt the "burn" and stepped away. They didn't.

Give it up. You made an overly general statement. Just admit it and move on.

George Patton likes this.
  5. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

My dear Mr. lwd

You are an ignoramus, and I as you know I studied those things for literally years and was given a degree as a result - so please don't try to be smart because you know nothing.
    I wouldn't usually say that but the first thing you've chosen to say was that I was "marginally coherent."
    Not nice my dear Mr. lwd.

I was trying to say (very) complicated things using simple terms. Maybe I failed but I tried. If you have a problem with it it's your fault.

You wanna a proof?
    Cancer actually isn't actually caused by ionization, i.e. destruction of chemical bonds.
    Cancer is bad DNA replicating, and ionized/damaged DNA can't replicate.
    Cancer is caused by electromagnetic radiation creating new genetic sequences (so-called dimers) capable of replicating. Google: thymine dimers, pyrimidine dimers, cyclobutane pyrimidine dimers.

So don't try your seat-of-the-pants procedures here, they don't work.

6. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

The radiation of a radar antenna isn't uniform and hot spots could form near it. The things they had with them could have focused radiation (for example their eyeglasses.)

And the same radiation which gave a nice warmth to their bodies (actually people working with radars frequently used them as sources of heat) could damage their eyes because eyes are exposed, lack thermoreceptors, and are much more vulnerable than the rest of the body.

7. lwd

lwd Ace

Ah attacking the poster rather than the post. A pretty clear sign that you've lost. Not to mention there you go with superlatives again another good sign that your are wrong.
    Indeed because it was.
    Ah an attempt at sarcasm. Pretty poor attempt but that's not a surprise.
    Not really. Your failure is because to a large extent your rather obviously don't know what you are talking about.
    If you are capable of giving it yes but the evidence to date is I'll just get more proof that you don't know what you are talking about.
    Yep. Ionization and destruction of chemical bonds aren't the same thing.
    The lack of comprehension you are demonstrating is amazing. How do you think "bad DNA" forms? DNA is a large molecule. It becomes "bad" when something breaks it depending on where the break is it may reform into something or not. Cancer can also be cause by bad RNA. It also takes a failure of ones "copy protection scheme as well" Ah well.
    There you go again waxing incoherent. You really follow the old advice about getting out of a hole. I.e. the first thing to do is to stop digging.

8. OpanaPointer

Well, this thread is over.

9. lwd

lwd Ace

Wow just Wow. What do you think an antenna is for? Indeed radar antennas are specifically designed to focus in a given direction. They are by design non uniform. Furthermore if you are close enough to be in the near field there are some rather strange coupling effects.
    ???? Now we are into the range of the incredibly absurd.
    Except of course that it was usually brain damage that was fatal.

10. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Dear lwd,
    I've told you don't write that ignorant nonsense, you're endangering other people's health and maybe life.

Before "incredibly absurd" google: effect of metal-framed spectacles on microwave radiation hazards to the eye of humans.
    Your ignorance will eventually cost some person health.

If you want to know I'm actually working right now programming cutting edge microwave transmitters like the NEC iPasolink family, transmitting on the mind-boggling 80GHz.
    So really I know about microwaves a lot.

Poppy likes this.
  11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

maybe a tinfoil hat would help

13. OpanaPointer

Tinfoil isn't easy to find. Big Aluminum has seen to that.

14. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

A tinfoil hat resembles a parabolic antenna, and can sometimes focus electromagnetic radiation on your brain, like a lens.
    Tinfoil mesh all around the head (and partially around the neck) would be better.

15. OpanaPointer

A haphazard attempt at a parabolic mirror would produce less than lethal results. Additionally, it's point the wrong way to pick up incoming signals.

16. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

Except they say:

When using iPhone near your body for voice calls or for wireless data transmission over a cellular network, keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) away from the body, and only use carrying cases , belt clips, or holders that do not have metal parts and that maintain at least 15 mm (5/8″) separation between iPhone and the body.

They actually don't say why.
    Maybe because it's unhealthy.
    Maybe because the proximity of metal parts or your body interferes with the antenna and disturbs calls.

17. OpanaPointer

Or, if it overheats, the hair on one's ears gets singed off.

18. lwd

lwd Ace

There is absolutely no reason I should follow any orders of yours. In particular orders based on your own lack of knowledge and understanding. Indeed to illustrate the latter PLS show where any of my posts have endangered anyones health, Other than yours of course I can see how pointing out your errors of fact and logic might be adversely affecting your blood pressure.

Ok, I looked and one article I found mentioned an increases on the order of 20%. Of course part of the absurd part was I was talking about brain damage to USN sailors in the 1940's and 1950's most of whom wouldn't have been wearing glasses anyway much less metal framed ones.

I see so while I may have minimized the danger of increasing the exposure by a few 10's of % is dangerous your claiming that there was no danger at all is ok. That makes a lot of sense ... not.
    Your posts to date don't demonstrate that.

19. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

It isn't 20 percent, it's 20 dB.
    dB is the most elementary idea in physics.
    It's the difference between 20/20 vision - and your eyes boiled hard.

But just for fun, tell me,
    how much is 20dB, how much is -20dB, well let's try 0dB.
    Is 20dB more dangerous than -20dB?
    Enquiring minds want to know.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  20. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

The number of shaped surfaces capable to focus radiation is infinitive, the parabolic antenna is merely one of the cheapest to produce.