Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Armored Cars and Ballistic Glass

Discussion in 'Armor and Armored Fighting Vehicles' started by ww24interest, May 10, 2016.

1. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

THIS IS NOT. I REPEAT NOT ABOUT BRITISH WW2 VEHICLES...

Does anyone know If ballistic glass or laminated glass was used in United States armored cars, tanks or half-tracks view ports and optics? Seems as though I read something about it before.

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

'Bulletproof' is a rather relative term.
    Taking the M4's periscopes and vision slits (M5 & M6 sets?), and other fully armoured vehicles, certainly as 'bulletproof' as the technology of the day allowed, usually constructed from layered, toughened plates.
    The language of the manuals is more proof against 'fragments' than any assertion about being truly bulletproof.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9buLiKr-sf-ZDZMTVJaY04zS1k/view

On halftracks, no, I don't think so, but it's a long time since I even looked at such details. Happy to be corrected.

3. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

The manual you sent me is of an m4 The M4a4 was British... If you paid attention I said NO BRITISH STUFF.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

As far as know, halftracks did not have any glass other than regular windshields. There was a hinged steel plate (battlefront) that folded down over the windshield. It had narrow vision slots with a sliding plate to cover them.

Tech 4 Merlyn Castner of the 30th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop/30th ID was killed in the cab of his halftrack in Carrieres-Sous-Poissy, NW of Paris on the east bank of the Seine August 28, 1944. The sniper placed his shot through the vision slot of the battlefront, hitting Castner in the upper chest, neck area.

My expert on M-8 armored cars died last July. I think I remember him saying that the M-8 did not have periscopes or glass vision blocks

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

If you want to be a shouty twat about it, fair enough.
    Used by the British, with the only real differences between it and 'used by the Americans' M4s being essentially in engine and running gear, but still an American vehicle, built in the states with common parts to other M4s manufactured at the same time.
    That manual has plenty of nice and sharply scanned stuff on fitted systems, or you could also extract an almost complete range of Sherman manuals from the URL, but maybe that's too subtle a point since my use of the link was in reference to the language of the manuals...
    The British also used American halftracks, armoured cars, softskins, tank destroyers & tanks. If that makes them 'British Stuff', then we'd all be having a thin time here wouldn't we.

So I'll potter off, only mentioning how a few books I'd dug out confirm the vision blocks in the Improved cupola as laminated glass that protected against 'penetration' by AP .50 at 100yds, but as that cupola was tested at the same time as a British version, and was seen fitted to tanks used by British soldiers once in full production, I suppose that makes it irrelevant.

7. ww24interest

ww24interest Member

You British trolls are everywhere...

@ LRusso Nice find I wonder if it could also stop low caliber rounds as well.

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Dude, von Poop is definitely NOT a troll and really doesn't deserve the attitude you're giving him. He was legitimately trying to help you>

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

No please or thankyou either...I know some answers to this but...I've suddenly forgotten.

10. Dave55

Dave55 Member

The guy gives you a fantastic, detailed article with information on AMERICAN ballistic glass and you call him a troll?

He's one of the best contributors here.

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

You make me blush, chaps.
    I am often a troll, but not on this occasion, especially since Troll doesn't mean 'Disagreeing' or 'finding someone a twat'. Troll's a technical term, proudly used by those who like to wind up the easily wound. ;)

But... the topic's quite interesting, and easily googled web info is apparently scarce, so shall we carry on regardless?

Not sure if this is a Sherman block, though the listing thought it might be and it clearly shows the multiple plate technology in use at the time:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-tank-periscope-prism-bullet-526570757
    [​IMG]

The main pages from Hunnicutt's M4 book relating to vision system specifics:
    View attachment 24319 View attachment 24320
    What I find interesting there is the late M13 periscopes being made from a solid block of plastic.
    You think of rudimentary clear plastics in WW2 aircraft, but it's mildly surprising to read of blocks of the stuff in tanks.
    Very good images of such here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Era-M13-Periscope-for-Sherman-Tank-/161468440450?nma=true&si=PsAdaoYtBMbEVJ%252B995NOTOlHnEU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    Quite the lump, and though I imagine easily obscured by a hit, it likely qualifies as 'bulletproof' as I can't see many things that wouldn't also punch a hole in the armour getting through something at that angle.

The approach to glass optics is a similar style as seen in German vehicles (Oh no! Not GERMAN vehicles!.. Or is it possible a more general look at WW2 Bulletproof Glass might get a more informative pool of info going... maybe just me... I'll stop being sarcastic now... probably.), with more shots being easily found of such fitted to Tigger etc., though this thread on WarRelics has a rather fine view of the glass itself from a 251:
    http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/germany-ww1-ww2-armour-artillery-vehicles/sdkfz-251-vision-block-ade-5021/

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attachments/germany-ww1-ww2-armour-artillery-vehicles/24419d1231719143-sdkfz-251-vision-block-ade-100_0001.jpg

Attached Files:

Slipdigit and RichTO90 like this.
  12. Slipdigit

Yeah, I have to take great exception to your referring to von Poop as a troll. Malcontent, snake charmer, gooberhead, ironmonger, Royalist - maybe but never a troll.

If you want to know about armor, and the M4 in particular, he is one of the go-to guys here.
    Not a good call on your part.

13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Slipdigit and George Patton like this.
  14. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

....But, are they American periscopes? NO BRITISH STUFF.

von Poop likes this.
  15. Slipdigit

Pit stirrer... :salute: