Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Army Units in Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Lippert, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Lippert

Lippert Member

Anybody have any idea where I could find out what units were assigned to Puerto Rico during the war?

2. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Lippert likes this.
  3. Lippert

Lippert Member

Thanks! How about any American units assigned there?

4. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

You're welcome.

I don't understand what you mean by ''How about any American units assigned there?''. Most if not all Puerto Ricans where consideredto be American units.

5. Lippert

Lippert Member

My apologies. I meant to ask if there were any units from the states that spent time there. I'm still waiting on my grandfather's DD214 and SRB, but the story goes that he enlisted in Buffalo, NY in 1942 and was Signal Corps. There's some confusion but apparently he was then stationed in Puerto Rico either because he was too German (second generation) or perhaps because he had a bit of asthma.

While I have access to massive quantities of Marine Corps records, I have very little knowledge of Army records, and have had a hard time finding anything about any Signal Corps units posted in Puerto Rico in WWII.

I consider Puerto Ricans Americans. :) I just meant mainlanders.

6. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG] SC 115702 U.S.A. transport, "American Legion" entering San Juan Bay (part of El Morro Castle in foreground). 1940.

SC 115701 Entrance to San Juan Harbor. 1940
    [​IMG][​IMG]

SC 115705 View of El Morro Castle, overlooking Atlantic Ocean, San Juan, Puerto Rico. 1940.

SC 115704 Sentry at entrance to Ballaja Barracks, San Juan, Puerto Rico. 1940.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 126185 Inspection of pup tents and equipment of 51st C.A. at El Morro before leaving for maneuvers. San Juan, Puerto Rico. 1941.
    SC 126175 Lt. Gen. Andrews inspects the radio set at the C.P. of the Provisional Maneuver Force. LtoR: Capt. Riollano, Hq. Commandant, Lt. Col. Simmons, Chief of Staff of the Prov. Man. Force, Maj. Gen Collins, Lt. Gen. Andrews, Brig. Gen. Ingles and 1st Lt. Blair, Signal Officer of the P.M. Force. Puerto Rico. November 1941.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 126165 - Mr. Samuel Badillo, Publicity Director of the Selective Service, and a guest of the Provisional Maneuver Force, looks on as Sgt Luis F. Rodriguez and 1st Lt. Pedro Pons, Public Relations Officer, work inside a command car. Caguas, Puerto Rico. November 1941.

SC 126169 - In the town of Caguas, Puerto Rico, 1st Lt. Cipriani, communications officer of the 65th Infantry, accompanied by Sgt. Navares, supervises the work of Tech. Sgt. Santiago and Pvt. Rafael Rivera. November 1941.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 126168 - Corporal Serra of the 65th Infantry talks over a telephone line which has just been laid by the Army in Caguas, Puerto Rico. November 1941.
    SC 126178 - Mr. Gonzalo Soanes, mayor of Caguas, explains how his town conducted blackouts to Lt. Col. F. Parra, Maj. Gen. Collins, and Lt. Gen. Andrews. Puerto Rico. November 1941.[​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 121822 - Front view - 155 mm. Guns 51st Coast Artillery passing in review at the 4th of July Parade, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 1941.
    SC121823 - Rear view - 155 mm. Guns of the 51st Coast Artillery, passing in review at the 4th of July Parade, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 1941. [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 126170 - Anti-Aircraft machine guns of Battery B, 51st Coast Artillery on alert for planes on recent maneuvers near Punta Salinas, Puerto Rico. November 1941.
    SC 126171 - Gun Gene W. of Battery B, 51st Coast Artillery under the direction of 1st Lt. Noel Iverson, is ready for action near Punta Salinas, Puerto Rico. November 1941. [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 126172 - Under the direction of 1st Lt. Victor Coll, a gun of the 25th F.A. is ready for action. Bayamon, Puerto Rico.

SC 126166 - Somewhere in a forest in Puerto Rico, Master Sgt. Sparks, 1st Lt. Cohan, Tech. Sgt. Habor, 1st Lt. Soully, Capt. Wentsworth and Sgt. Vassewr of the 25th Field Artillery work hard on a five direction center. Caguas, Puerto Rico. November 1941.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 126179 - Members of Co. H, 65th Infantry, take cover in cement mixer on recent maneuvers near Salinas, Puerto Rico. November 1941.

SC126181 - 65th Infantry takes cover in a cane field near Salinas, Puerto Rico. November 1941.
    [​IMG][​IMG] SC 121826 - Troops of 65th Infantry ready for action at maneuvers, Salinas, Puerto Rico. 1941.

SC 121825 - Forming of Chow Line at 65th Infantry at Salinas's maneuvers, Puerto Rico. 1941.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC 121824 - Soldiers of 65th Infantry after an all day schedule of maneuvers at Salinas, Puerto Rico. August 1941.

The Army in Puerto Rico: Images from World War II

7. J.A. Costigan

J.A. Costigan Member

Sorry for misunderstanding, partially my fault for misreading your original question.

8. Jan7

Jan7 Member

:rolleyes::eek: What a couple of interesting photos and captions....!

Many thanks for share!

What is this artifact [​IMG] ? Do you explain me his function?

Jan.

9. Lippert

Lippert Member

Good show! Thanks for that.

10. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The photo above appears to be a loader being used as an impromptu foxhole by some guys with BARs. Not a good idea, but a great picture for the papers in those days.

11. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Lippert likes this.
  12. Lippert

Lippert Member

Excellent resource Pointer, thanks a ton. I can't wait to get my Grandfathers 214 to try to figure this out.

13. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Many thanks OpanaPointer! I understand the mechanism perfectly....

Jan.

14. applevalleyjoe

applevalleyjoe Member

My father joined the Army in 1939 after 2 tours with the CCC's in Virginia. He was first assigned to the Quartermaster Corps and later in 1940 transferred to the Veterinary Corps in Puerto Rico. According to him Regular Army units in Puerto Rico at the time included a mix of both American mainlanders and Puerto Ricans. The latter all spoke English as that was the language of operation. Most Americans which whom he associated with either spoke a little Spanish or understood it fairly well. Since everyone was Regular Army, many of the Puerto Ricans outranked the mainlaners.

You need to read about the 65th Infantry Regiment. They were a Puerto Rican infantry unit composed of both mainlanders and puerto ricans. They fought in Italy, Germany, and later were send to Korea where they initially garnered many honors. They were subsequently disbanded but recently reactivated.

For your information, I had read somewhere where several Continental AAA units has been sent to Puerto Rico. You might want to also check on the history of Coastal Artillery units as Puerto Rico had a very large number of coastal artillery units emplaced there during WWII.

I just read today that a good number of military hospitals had been activated there and/or existing hospitals expanded. I also read that a number of casualties from the Normandy landing had been brought to Puerto Rico for treatment.

It makes sense to me that there would have been a Signal Corps presence in Puerto Rico beyond the Regimental level if for no other reason than the strategic location of Puerto Rico, its role as part of the Atlantic Defense Zone, and the fact that Puerto Rico was the HQ for the Antilles Command.

Hopes that this helps a little bit. If you find any more specific information please let me know.

15. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

Any thoughts on where to start looking? My grandfather was stationed in Puerto Rico, in what I think was the 25th FA. I didn't get much back from NARA (no discharge papers so I can't even verify his unit) and I'm not sure on how to proceed.

16. Lippert

Lippert Member

Back from an 8 year hiatus!

Oh, yeah... BUMP (sorry fellas, had to).

17. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Howdy.

18. cflucky

cflucky New Member

My Dad was stationed in Puerto Rico in 1942-43. He came on a troop transport from New Orleans. He says he was assigned to the Shore or Coastal Artillery. But later he did work out of the motor pool. He says he worked at a small airfield. He said the only time he shot a rifle was when planes would come to land at the airfield he was sent out to shoot stray dogs off the runways. I am trying to pin down what airfield he may have been stationed at and where it was located. Anyone have any insights ?

19. Takao

Takao Ace

There were several army air fields on Puerto Rico. Can you provide any addition information to narrow it down?

20. cflucky

cflucky New Member

He said they often went to Fajardo when they had leisure time.