Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Bracelet Hurtgen Forest

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Aru-Ed, Feb 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Y'all be sure to spread the rep points around for this.

2. Shockwavesoldier

Shockwavesoldier Member

wow, thats really awesome a great find.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Great job all around Ed and Keystone. I love to hear the stories like this where the family can be returned the item. Great thread, and keep us posted.

4. bigfun

bigfun Ace

got it done Slip!!

5. Aru-Ed

Aru-Ed Member

Last friday i called Mrs. Page and we had a nice conversation for about 45min. about John and their lives together!
    She was very thrilled to know how i found the bracelet and where i found it.
    During the war he never got wounded and earned the Bronze Star.
    She was happy to know that i would send her the bracelet through the mail, and that is no problem for me, i was just as exited.
    We are going to keep in touch and she promised me to send me some pictures of her husband from during WWII and after!
    He spook many times with her and his kids about the war and the hell in the Hurtgen Forest, and had many tails to tell.
    I'll keep you all posted on what happens next!
    I find this all great and i'm very gratefull to Keystone Two-Eight for his help in my quest to find the Page family!

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

This is wonderful Aru Ed.
    Bless you, as well as Mrs Page and Keystone who helped you with this quest.
    Please keep us informed.

7. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I'm in total agreement with Skipper, well done Aru-Ed and Keystone.

8. Slipdigit

Is there anything new on this?

9. cd13

cd13 Member

Wow, I just found this thread - wonderful, wonderful story. Truly heartwarming the way it all ended up. I cannot imagine Mrs. Page's feelings upon receiving her late husband's bracelet - well done to all who made this possible!:tennisclap:

10. Aru-Ed

Aru-Ed Member

No, not yet, but i keep you all posted!
    I heard via Keystone that a local newspaper from the area where Mrs. page lives, got interested and maybe want to do a story on the bracelet.
    I'm waiting for a response from them!

Slipdigit likes this.
  11. Slipdigit

Good, keep us informed.

12. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

I gave the woman from the newspaper the address for the forums and url for this thread, so who knows, perhaps she'll pop in.

Slipdigit likes this.
  13. Aru-Ed

Aru-Ed Member

Last week i had a copy made of the bracelet and today i could pick it up.
    And i must say, they did a fine job, although the number on the backside is printed upside-down on the plate, but that is detail!
    I wanted to keep a memory of the bracelet for my collection, and hopefully it will get company of some pictures of John and his Fam. with some letters.
    The original will i send to Mrs. Page in the States and i know it will get a nice spot over there, there where it belongs!!!
    I haven't received a message yet from the Page Fam. but i keep you all posted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bigfun

bigfun Ace

Great!!
    Thanks for keeping us upeated!!

15. hmstill

hmstill recruit

I am Mr. Page's granddaughter, one of his five. He had 2 daughters and two sons and a wife (my grandmother) who all still live is South Carolina. My grandfather died from a heartattack on December 21, 2005. Before that, he was a wonderful, caring, fun-loving man who truly lived everyday of his life. Up until a few years ago, he still rode his bicycle over to the small town in which he lived. Prior to his heart attack and the troubles leading up to it, he had not and would not visit doctors and hospitals because he said, "Doctors will kill you!" That's just the kind of person he was. He was sweet and silly and had some really interesting stories. For instance, he NEVER ate chicken--wouldn't even go near it. I asked him why, and he told me that, in the War, he remembered seeing chickens in the streets of Germany fighting over the guts of all the dead bodies. He didn't talk much specifically about the War itself, but I watched Saving Private Ryan with him several years ago, and he said that the movie was pretty spot-on, except there was no way for anyone to convey the smell of war. My grandfather or "Papa John" as I called him was a huge supporter of the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C., and I was able to visit there. Unfortunately, he was not able to make the trip, but he was sure proud that I went. I really thank the gentleman from Holland who found my grandfather's bracelet. I received word just today of this forum and these posted pictures. The gentleman in Holland, I hear, has mailed my grandmother the bracelet as of April 2, and my entire family is grateful to this selfless man for following through with what really seems a miracle.

Slipdigit likes this.
  16. Aru-Ed

Aru-Ed Member

Thank you for your reply, it's amazing that i found your grandfathers bracelet and i'm happy to return it, there where it belongs!
    I was a little shaken by the date your grandfather died, on 21 December 2005, that was about the same period 2 years later (2007) that i found the bracelet.
    The date i found the bracelet is 20 December, so close to the date in December 2005 that he died, it scared me.
    Upcoming week i will mail the bracelet to your grandmother, you can count on that!
    I hope to hear more from you all, through email, we keep in touch.
    And i keep everyone updated on this forum.
    Again thanks to Keystone Two-Eight for making this happen!

17. Slipdigit

Yeee-Haaaa. I'm glad this is all coming together.

hmstill, thanks for coming to the forum and talking to us about your grandpa. Anything else you would like to add to the forum about him, please do so.

We have a memorial section here, if you wish to give a short (or long) history of service to our country.

Please let us know when you get the bracelet.

Aru-ed and Keystone, good job!

18. bigfun

bigfun Ace

hmstill,
    Thank you so much for telling us of your Grandfather. He sonds like a great guy! I too would love to hear more about him! I will await further updates on this!

Thanks to you all!!

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Excellent. Congratulations to all of those who have contributed to this fine thread, especially Aru-Ed who found the bracelet and keystone who helped to locate the page familly. My best regards to the Page familly.

20. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Y'all cant see it, but Ive got a big ol smile on my face, and tears in my eyes! This is simply beautiful, and I am glad I had the chance to witness it!

bigfun likes this.