Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US divisional casualties?

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by larso, Oct 12, 2013.

1. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi , OpanaPointer
    I was just reading all the old posts here..and chuckling at my learning experience .
    I just noticed something you said here about the Bronze Star not being what you thought . That it’s an indicator of his service .
    Can you explain what you meant ….and what did you think it was - Please enlighten me
    Thank you

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It's a little star put on the service ribbon to indicate he did more than one tour of service that made him eligible for the original ribbon. I have a Vietnam service ribbon with two stars, denoting three years in country. (Didn't finish the third one but I got another star on my purple one to make three.)

3. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

There are two "bronze stars":

The Bronze Star Medal is awarded for gallantry or meritorious conduct (also retroactively awarded to those with a Combat Infantryman Badge).

The Bronze "service star" / "campaign star" is a small pin which is affixed to a campaign/service ribbon/medal to signify multiple campaigns/tours, as OpanaPointer describes above. This is unrelated to the Bronze Star Medal but often causes confusion.

aqhoffman and Slipdigit like this.
  4. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Yes , I understand . Thank you
    Clicked on the Link here in one of these Posts for Find a Grave -: which took me to my Father’s Memorial-: there his Purple Heart and two other Medals- Ribbons were pictured . need to double check what one of them is .
    Thanx again

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You also see the stars referred to in two other ways:

1. As the Bronze Star Medal, which is a medal for valor or service by that name and has a red, blue and white ribbon associated with. If it is a BSM for bravery, it will have a V device (for valor) attached to the ribbon, like the stars being asked about in the thread.

2. A bronze star device, which, like the V device above, denotes additional information about the ribbon or medal to which it is attached. As indicated above, it can be attached to campaign medals, such as the European-African-Middle Eastern campaign medal to denotes the various campaigns the recipient was involved in. In lieu of 5 bronze star devices on a single campaign ribbon, a silver star device (as opposed to the Silver Star Medal) is attached to denote the 5 campaigns. While rare, it is possible for an individual to have participated in 6 or more campaigns and would wear a silver star device (for 5) and bronze star devices (1 each) on the campaign ribbon.

Oftentimes you will not see the stars referred to as a medal or device, as it was intended by the author of the document that the reader would understand from the context what was intended. 80 years later, families are trying to understand what is meant, having no frame of reference.

Biak likes this.