Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US site for British models....

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Martin Bull, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin :

Great link ! A question for you.....did Fly Past ever cover anything on the Kamen/Operation Gisela mishap of 3/4 March 1945 in their texts ? Does fly Past ever cover any missions of 1945 focusing on the overall battles and individual's or do they still remain a "digs" magazine ? I have only two very old issues.

3. Martin Bull

I can't recall anything recently from FlyPast about Gisela - certainly they occasionally include various articles about 1945 Bomber Command raids. I'll keep my eyes open...

( By coincidence I was looking among the various displays at East Kirkby last Friday & there was a collection of wreckage fom a Lancaster shot down during Operation Gisela whilst on a training flight from RAF Wigsley ).

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin, yes anything you could find would be wonderful. Also the Lanc shot down on the March intruder mission. Can you get specifics on it and the hours of possible engagement for me ? I may have the German counterpart to this.....

E thumbs up !

5. Martin Bull

Oh no ! :( I should have written it down when I was there.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Don't worry, I need to make a return visit to Lincs soon. There remain several little museums still for me to see ( Woodhall Spa & Metheringham, for instance ).

I have to admire the dedication of people who run these little places, all on a voluntary basis.

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Ah to have those military museums close at hand ! The closest one here is the famous Tillamook air museum which is nearly 300 miles to my north.

thank you Martin ;)

E

7. Martin Bull

Ha - thanks to Chorley, no need to make a return visit to East Kirkby !

The collection of relics I looked at related to Lancaster III LM748 UG-H of 1654 HCU flying out of Wigsley.

Shot down at 01:05 hrs, it crashed at Stapleford, Nr Nottingham with the loss of all on board.