Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USA Discharge Report - can you help me solve a mystery?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by EJN18, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Just a thought about Sicily. I know the 2nd Armored Division, also part of the invasion of Sicily, held two battalions of the 67th Regiment in Oran as a reserve. The campaign went so fast that they didn't get called and the next action these battalions seen was in Normandy. I'm not well versed on the 1st ID, but they may have done the same.

2. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

According to Stanton, the 18th Infantry "served as initial reserve force off Sicily and landed at Scoglitti Sicily 13 Jul 1943" (p. 203). I think the 45th ID landed at Scoglitti during the initial invasion, so the 18th must have been in one of the reinforcement waves a few days later.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You have been getting some phenomenal help, Emma. All I have to offer is the minor point that his final unit in Box 6 is Cn Company (or Cannon Company) 125th Infantry. Since, as Adam pointed out, a unit he was only in while being mustered out of the Army, it is not particularly helpful in placing him in the UK in Oct/Nov 1944.

4. EJN18

EJN18 New Member

I have been getting some amazing help. There are so many helpful people on here I really would not have got this far without all your help. I'm glad you confirmed this for me. It all adds to his timeline and if he doesn't turn out to be my granddad I will have some fantastic information to pass on to his family in America.

5. EJN18

EJN18 New Member

Hi Kodiakbeer

I have a very long list of questions for the family in America, Sicily being one of them. My brother and I have decided that once this journey is over, what ever news it may bring, we will try our hardest to get him the recognition he deserves. We noticed he does not seem to be listed on any website listing Purple Heart recipients. I know a lot of these are based on information they have been given but we will make sure he gets listed on them all.

Thanks for all your help. We really appreciate it.

6. EJN18

EJN18 New Member

Hi Adam,

Again, wow. So much information. You are amazing!

We are looking for Morning reports and any other General Orders we can find. Hopefully we will learn when and where he was wounded. It's all adding to his timeline.

So many more avenues for us to search although it's like 'opening a can of worms', answer one question, have several more to answer!

Emma

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Emma,

You asked about this:

I looked at the .jpg of the AGO 53-55 you posted. It says Cn Co, 125th INF. He ended up in the Cannon Company of the 125th. Pay no attention to it, it was just a holding unit to get him home.

In the photo where he is sitting in the center, there are two men wearing Class-A uniforms. The Distinctive Unit Insignia they are wearing on their lower lapels look like they could be the DUIs for the 18th Infantry Regiment.

Camp Rucker is now Fort Rucker and is near Enterprise, Alabama. The 125th Infantry was dissolved there at the same time he was discharged.

You should have no problem finding volumes of information on the 1st Infantry Division. It is a well documented unit

8. EJN18

EJN18 New Member

Hi Slipdigit
    Aren't the photos wonderful. I love old photos and all that they represent. I wonder if they all made it back though.
    Thanks for your information. It confirms him in The 18th

Emma

9. KMZgirl

KMZgirl Member

I have enjoyed reading this thread. Wondering if there are any updates?