Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Using game software to review battles?

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by OpanaPointer, Jan 25, 2018.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Large scale, theater, or small scale, Bastogne. It seems like you could show the action in a battle effectively with the same software used for Call or Duty or the like. What am I missing?

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

What do you mean by 'show'? The WW2 COD games have had Battles of Bastogne.

I know the History Channel used to use the Total War games to show historical battles of antiquity, but its much easier to 'control' those large scale types while showing the terrain, formations, etc.

3. OpanaPointer

I keep maps handy whenever I'm looking at a battle, and having one on my 27" monitors that I could zoom in and out, or back and forth through time, would be nice to have. Make the West Point maps live?

4. Mussolini

So like a Google Earth view of a place?

5. OpanaPointer

Not a single image. Take D-day. Start on 4.5 beaches and advance the time line. Day or week or month. Zoom out to get the whole battlefront, zoom in to see where Patton ran out of gas, etc.,

6. Mussolini

That would be pretty cool...but a pretty challenging task to setup!

7. OpanaPointer

Not for me, I'd get someone else to do it. :D

8. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

The trouble with using games to model historic battles is that there is a conflict between these. A game has to be fun to play and a many of the most historic battles don't make good games. One of the early releases of Call of Duty ( I?or was it medal of Honor?) had a Pegasus Bridge scenario, supposedly based on the "real terrain." The real action was over in about 30 seconds, but that doesn't make for a good level in a game like COD.

It is very difficult to get game designers to build terrain to support historic modelling rather than player levels. I have tried. You can stage aerial campaigns using mass online flight simulators. I used to run a weekly and monthly programme of historic refights for the Warbirds community. We had a 2/3 scale Europe from Bristol to Berlin and did stage some quite big campaigns. Limited life to encourage cautious action. I think you can learn quite a lot about air warfare from this kind of game,. We have enough data to compare say five or six refights of the battle of Midway or Battle of Britian with the historic results.

In theory mass multi player game WW2 Online could be used to model historic land battles. But it doesn't work well because no one wants to spend their leisure time sitting watching an arc where nothing happens. All the action becomes pantball for slobs die respawn rinse and repeat.

9. OpanaPointer

I don't intend these to be games, I just want to use something similar to the game maps for viewing. I would hope that eventually we have teams for each front and subgroups for important areas. They would research the battle and make the dynamic maps as accurate as possible.