Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USN experts needed. Is this shirt WW2 or not?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Skipper, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That would be his service number on the label. You might get more information on the stencil by exposing it to different frequencies of light, black light, grow light, things like that.

The curious thing is the service stripe (the red one). It normally indicates four years of service. But the rank stripes, the white one, indicate a Seaman's rank, What he a naughty boy (got busted down from a higher rank) or did the stripe mean something else then?

Other than that the jumper is bog-standard, I got one issued to me back in 1969.

Skipper likes this.
  3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks opama, I'll focuss on the service number then. I was hoping the dragon would give me a lead too, but that could be anyhting considering both ships servec in the Pacific. I'll try the the different light frequences too, there are figures and of cours ethe same name again. A seaman rank (so lowest rank ?) . Maybe he was a rebel type of guy indeed.

4. OpanaPointer

The ranks were
    Seaman Recruit
    Seaman Apprentice
    Seaman
    Petty Officer Third Class
    Petty Officer Second Class
    Petty Officer First Class
    Chief Petty Officer.

I don't know his history so I would be guessing about the rank issue.

The dragons were bling, you could get them sewn on in any tailor shop, especially those that catered to sailors on shore leave. It didn't prove he saw service in the Pacific. (Meaning they were over-priced.) The custom was to wear the cuffs turned up to show off the patches. You didn't do that when leaving the ship or returning, It was sometimes a test of sobriety to see if you could turn them down and button them properly. (A few sailors failed that test.)

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That's most interesting . I never heard about the dragon sobriety test. The reason why I mentioned the Pacific is because DD401 was based at Pearl Harbor.
    So Seaman is not so bad after four years. Thanks again. Do you know any thing about the anchor buttons ? they may give a hint too.

6. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

E 3, 4 years not bad, especially before the war...?? I thought I read it was tough for even longtimers to get rank in the USMC before the war ...of course the USMC was much smaller .........I did get busted from Cpl to Lcpl, but back up to SGT, 4 years after I got busted....so I had 1 stripe as a Lcpl... but I got meritoriously promoted out of Bootcamp and SOI....very fast rank.....but a Pfc E 2, with 1 stripe usually means badboy........good thinking though by Opana......that could be odd and denote 'trouble'
    but, from Opana's rankings, 1 stripe for seaman E 3 looks about right...no?? we had many E 3s [ Lcpl ] with 3 years-...and if they weren't hardchargers, would still be E 3 with 4 years...... a lot of E 4 Cpls with 3 years were usually hardchargers....and the rest of the E 4 Cpls usually reupped to get E 4
    so, first year, bootcamp/sailor training, higher training, schooling, then assignment....second and third year E 2....to E 3 into fourth year......near next promotion, if qualified... .they just don't promote that fast....unless you're a harcharger...?...badboy could mean he just wasn't ''enthusiastic' enough ....we had Marines like that...not many.....most did a good job, even if they didn't like the Corps
    we did have about 4 Marines who left as Pfcs E 2 that got busted for drugs.....they might've been 3 year men

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

More about the stencil (contrats, negatives etc.. . I have an idea but I will wait for your comments first as not to influence your judgments.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

One last one.

[​IMG]

9. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

The contract number on the label could be N1401622351638126.

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Did they wear a patch with the ship's name on it during wartime?

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

12. OpanaPointer

The USN expanded hugely, as we know, during the war. That meant the opportunity for advancement was very great, as it was for other services. Remember that Eisenhower was a Lt. Col. in 1939. Advanced six ranks in five years.

This is a way, however. He could have been in the peacetime Navy, signed up around 1936. Then when war came and he was advanced he might have sent that jumper home as it no longer fit him.

Alternative to the above: The Chaplain sent that jumper home, along with the rest of his personal effects.

13. chibobber

chibobber Member

I think you will find this to be post war. Info tag is different during war,Black and white and smaller with no contract numbers,no care instruction,just Name and Rate. Rockers were not used during the war,it is later.

Skipper likes this.
  14. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thanks for this. So you'd aim for the AGS16. That would make sense too. What do you call "Rockers" ?

15. chibobber

chibobber Member

Ship name on sleeve.Turn it upside down and it is a rocker.,like a rocking chair. These did not come out until 1960.
    Hope you obtained it cheap.Here it is a $10. item on a good day.

16. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Interesting shirt you've got there Skipper.

17. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

yes and it could mean a 5, 6 or 7 year Seaman which would indicate trouble

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That narrows the query to something between 1960 and 1969. Damn I'd hoped it would be a bit older. Paid 40 € for it, not bad considering it's a small ship. Are you sure they cost 10 bucks a piece only? This is personalised one with the name of a small vessel, not just the jumper.

19. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The dragon isn't just bling. It's something you'd sew on after going through the "Golden Dragon" initiation - crossing the International date line which makes you a Golden Dragon instead of a Scurvy Pollywog. You go through a hazing thing, get a certificate and then it's usually "rope-yarn" (no work) the rest of the day, steaks for dinner if they have them. Then you can sew on the dragon without having your shipmates give you a bunch of crap.
    There's also a Shellback initiation for crossing the equator. A Blue Nose for crossing the arctic circle and a bunch of other semi-official certificates for various points and places around the globe. All of that comes down from the Royal Navy, adopted in whole by the early USN and still a thing today.

It's all about morale. An excuse to break up the monotony on a long voyage.

Skipper likes this.
  20. chibobber

chibobber Member

Skipper,
    Navy jumpers are a strange item here.You can hardly give them away unless they are to highly awarded sailor on a famous ship.Sad but that's how it is.
    Typically a WW2 jumper will have a discharge,"ruptured duck" patch on the right breast.The dragon embroidery sewn in are called liberty cuffs.Some jumpers and pants,pre war were highly embroidered on the inside with names,locations and ship names.These examples bring good money.
    May I make a suggestion if allowed.Check out USMILITARIA.COM You will find a ton of info and may save you on spending also.