Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

V.C.Recipient Bill Reid passes away.

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by C.Evans, Dec 13, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Bill Reid V.C. passed away on 11-28-01, age 79. He was in #61 Squadron. :( :(

2. Paul Errass

Paul Errass Member

Carl,
    I hadn't heard about Bill Reid,a sad day indeed,i only watched a documentary a few weeks ago on how he won his VC over Dusseldorf in 1943,he was a very courageous man and came across as a really nice bloke.The magazine i have sent to you has a photo of him together with all the other VC/GC Winners.
    Luckily Capt Annand is going strong i dropped off a Christmas card for him 2 days ago.
    Cheers
    Paul :( :( :(

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dear Paul, many thanks my friend, and I am a bit slow at getting all my mailings out but, I will have something for you in the mail next week.

This is due to paying two traffic tickest (a merry Christmas Greetings from Corpus Christi's Police Department) purely an act of extortion.

It is a shame Mr. Reid is gone--he was another V.C. I desperately wanted contact with. I read what was written about him on the Victoria Cross site sometime ago, he truely was a brave and remarkable man. May he rest in peace and my hat goes off to him.

Paul, before I forget, I do wish you and your family a Merry Christmas here--just in case what I send out doesnt arrive in time for Christmas.
    Take care mate--Carl.

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Concerning Bill Reid

I know I'm a bit late with this one but I had the great privilege to meet him - briefly - a few months before he died.
    He really was an extremely nice and courteous man, a gentleman in the true sense of the word. It was a humbling experience to think what he'd 'been through'.
    He's sadly missed by the Bomber Command Association The secretary told me that he was glad that Bill passed away very quickly and peacefully without distress.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hello Martin and thank you for sharing this info to me. I read his citation on him and he was indeed a VERY brave gentleman. I wish I had been able to meet him. I do have the priviledge of having written to Captain Richard Wallace Annand (with the thanks to my friend Paul in England) he is another fine British Gentleman.