Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Value requesting by recruits

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Skipper, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I am a bit in a bad mood about the inflation of new threads by recruits asking us to value their "family items". This is not for those who choose to stay with us and contribute, but I'm getting tired of the so called "grandchildren" who want to sell their relatives relics only to find out that they are in fact dealers or greedy kids wanting to make money with Ebay on our backs and who want a free expertise to make even more money.
    It's ok to give a member a price or two, but systematically giving the market prices (and top level ones too!) will only end up screwing yourselves as these professionnals wouldn't have dreamt of higher estimates.
    Therefore may I suggest you think twice before you make a pricelist for someone we do not know. Unless you are milionnaire and don't care about prices.
    When I go to flea markets, I never ever tell the seller what I am buying (if he doesn't know the value of a relic) that's rule number one, or the next time I won't pay the same price....
    If we are dealing with a nice chap we can always help, but honestly how many of these return after we priced their items???? :mad:
    My 2 cents and rant , but isn't it common sense and for the benefit of all collectors?

formerjughead and brndirt1 like this.
  2. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

I'll also throw in my two cents....

yes I completely agree with you Skipper.....I love looking at a new thread, where a member shows a peice of militaria and perhaps can provide some usefull information on it's history....better yet an informative discussion develops between some of us.....as it's so interesting to be able to learn - this is what I like about WW2F

but it is a little annoying to see a new member pop in, get something valued...then go again, as ofthen times no disscussion/learning takes place .....I actually think a lot of those threads just add clutter to the other more interesting threads here

I think discussion and learning are the way to go!

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Skipper, thats sound avice and I also agree with you though I have another deal in the making ;-))

One thing that does worry me a bit too is that sometimes the sellers to be are legit. I scored a 100 with ted from Washington as well as Fischer and a couple of others-but like you said in other words-beware-well aware.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I understand Carl and I am not blaming any member for being helpful, on the contrary. I know it's very hard to make the difference between those who are legit and wilL stay and contribute to the forum AND those who are here once for personnal profit only and use our kindness. One way is to check the number of their postings. It is also a matter of asking and giving something in return. This reminds me of those school kids asking us to do our homework and never return. You are all smart enough to spot nice people, so I will leave this up to you but please avoid digging your own graves by feeding greedy sellers.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I'm with you Skipper, these guys who blitz in and and then leave with nothing done except "pick the brains" of our more informed members (like Carl et.al.) concerning militaria are little more than a distraction.

If they stick around and actually contribute they are more than welcome to my mind.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm afraid that they would pass around the information that they can get estimates here and that if we do not pay attention we might might have more and more similar requests.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cheers Skipper, im not disagreeing with you and Clint, I fully concur as wel ;-)) And besides, I have something in mind for you if everything works out? ;-))

Skipper likes this.
  8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Clint, your too kind on tha Laurels for me. I wish I were in Fischer and Hucks's league ;-))