Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

VASILI ZAITSEV IS DEAD...

Discussion in 'What If - Mediterranean & North Africa' started by Kai-Petri, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ok I´ll go for it!

The fight between Zaitsev and Koenig is rubbish, invented by Russian propaganda office. But we can have it here. Vasili Zaitsev was a real person and gained many kills in Stalingrad. But was he unbeatable?

Who would you send to fight him, might as well put any of the WWII top snipers against him here except russian. What is your weapon of choice and perhaps type of optics. Your strategy and why? A trap maybe?

Here´s the site for top names to choose if necessary:

http://www.snipercentral.com/snipers.htm#WWII

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Ok, so almost all top snipers were russian in WW2.Sorry about that. Pick whoever is your favourite sniper so we truly can get ahead with this...Much more fun!

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Damn, I had not known that Carlos Hathcock had passed away and in 1999 to boot. :( :( :(

Kai, Ill make a go for it a little later.

Carlos Hathcock--93 kills. I knew a Vietnam vet who knew Hathcock, and he was also a sniper with I think 49 kills in Vietnam--I cannot think of his name for the moment. I met this guy sometime back in 1986, as he was my supervisor at work.

[ 23 August 2002, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

4. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Without a doubt-i would choose "THE BOYS"-my heroes Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart-they were a team, thus i get 2 for the price of 1 against the likes of Vasili Zaitsev!!!!

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

5. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Carl G. E. von Mannerheim Ace

Geneneral Tibbets, weapon: the atomic bomb. That outta take care of him.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

CvM, isnt that cheating a bit? ;) :D

7. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Hhhhhhhhmmmmm, no. ;)

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

mmmmrrr...

Major Königs was my favourite... :mad: :D

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh heh.

And Friedrich--sorry to say--Maj Konigs didnt exist--it is just part of William Craigs nifty imagination. [​IMG] This is one of those very debatable things started by someone who profits from it. I cant stand these things because it sadly distorts real history.

10. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

yes, I knew it, Carl. You had already broke my ilusion... :mad: However, you told me that Charlie Brown, the Grinch and Santa Claus did not exist either. So, I suposse that Santa won't be able to give you a PC on Christmas, eh? :D [​IMG]

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Well, I do know about some German sniper:

Obstlt. Gottfried von Hammerstein und Hartmann, graduated form dresden military academy in 1937 as Leutnant of infantry, with special degree as sniper. But from late 1937 until mid-1939 he was GO Fedor von Bock's personal secretary and adjutant. In September 1st 1939 he was appointed to an infantry division and so on... throughout the war he raised very rapidly, commanding a mixture of units, some times infantry some times Panzer in many theatres of the war... He was credited with 23 kills during all the war, most of them officers. RK in 1944 (can't remember the exact date).

But in Berlin, on 29th April 1945 he was shot in the left eye and throat by a Russian sniper. He lost the left eye and his throat was so damaged that he has not been able to speak since then. Fortunately, he was saved by a Soviet doctor there.

12. Carl G. E. von Mannerheim

Ahh, yes i ve heard of him. He was a great man

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No Santa but, hopefully his replacement "Uncle Sam" will. :D

14. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hahaha! :D

Finally it's worth for something, Carl! ;)

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Here´s some advice by Simo Häyhä if you want to be a perfect sniper: The book "White death" by Petri Sarjanen 1998.

I think the "White death" is preferably the name for Simo Häyhä, as the "cuckoo" was nickname by Russians to all Finnish snipers. Well both were used too, I think, and during the Winter War all Finns were called " White death" on their skiis. It´s a bit complex..

Ok but back to the real thing:

Simo used to check the place for sniping the previous evening, and made from snow an obstacle for the enemy not to see him.Sometimes he would put water on the snow so that snow would not rise as he fired and reveal him.

In the morning he would eat a lot so he could stay on guard for along time if necessary. In his pockets he put dry food and sugar to keep up his level of conciousness and blood sugar level.

He would take some 50-60 bullets. Also a few hand granades.

To accurately measure the distance of the bullet´s flight is important. If the distance is 400 ms and you thought it was 300 ms, the mistake in bullet´s falling is about one meter. For the distance of 400 ms the falling of the bullet is about 2 meters altogether.Also you might have to consider the wind, and possibly a running target, a running man advances 4 meters/second.For the wind: 1 m /s side wind changes the bullet 13 centimeters to either side.

Suitable clothing makes it easy to find the position to hold the gun in place for longer time, and also the puls won´t interfere with aiming.Breathing should be relaxed so you don´t lose unnecessary energy, as well as aiming is easier.Let your eyes and muscles relax as much as possible.Shoot only during exhale. Load the gun carefully, not scratching the led head of bullet as with over 300 ms of bullet flight this might have meaning.If the distance is long fire another shot immediately to guarantee the kill.

DON´T GET GREEDY!

Standards for sniper:

To hit with the first shot with 90% into a target of 15 cms from 300 meters, and to a target of smaller than 35 cms from 300-600 meters.

In practice:
    0-300 meters head shot
    300-600 ms upper body shots
    600-800 ms standing targets, the part showing

Weather or movement of the target doesn´t change the requirements.

The mission is to destroy the key personnel of the enemy:

1. Leaders
    2. users of group arms (artillery etc ) and other personnel
    3. special troops
    -enemy snipers
    -messengers
    -artillery observants
    -tank crews
    4. special equipment
    -missile vehicles
    -observatory posts and equipment
    5. Enemy soldiers in places threatening own troops

In guerilla warfare:

6. Guides, trained dogs
    7. Guards
    8. drivers for special vehicles

Important for sniper:

- to accurately measure the length
    - ability to recognize different voices
    - ability to use the nature for camouflage
    - ability to camouflage yourself, weapon and equipment
    - Ability to recognize enemy personnel and vehicles
    - Ability to stay in one place for a long time without being noticed
    - orienteering skills
    - checking the enemy movements and if necessary informing the HQ of the threat

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Without a doubt--the man knew his "business". I can almost wonder if Carlos Hathcock studied some of his methods.

17. Zhadov

Zhadov Member

But there was a fight between Zaitsev and his sharpshooters and Nazi sharpshooters.It started when Germans tried to cover their soliders taking water from Volga.It lasted for three days and in the end Russians were victorious.Only later they found out that Nazi leader that Zaitsev shot,was a principle of sharpshooter's school in Berlin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.