Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vasili Zaitsev(sp??)

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by dave phpbb3, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    It is true that Zaitsev survived the war.

2. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

from a source that ive just found yes he did survive n he worked in a factory after the war, he left the army in 43 because of some eye troubles but he taught snipers after 43 till the end of the war

3. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Here is a picture of Vassili Zaitsev (on the left) in Stalingrad.

4. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Sniper rifle used by the U.S. in Europe was the M1903A4 with a 2.2x Weaver scope. The "8X Unertl" scope was first used by the 'Marine's' in the Korean war, and also to a very little extend in Vietnam.

There wasnt any Sniper ammunition or High-power ammunition for the U.S. Sniper's in WW2 to use, and they had to rely on the less accurate standard M2 Ball round (170gr) at 2740fps.

The Germans could use a 192gr (V-patronen) at 2880fps:

5. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The Unertl scopes were used some by the USMC in WW2. They didn't have good seals around the lenses. This made them very unsuitable for tropical climates were humidity and rain was always a problem. In Korea, the air is much drier so the Unertl performed much better.

M2 ball used a 150gr FMJBT bullet.

6. KBO

KBO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hmm.. I always remembered that the Unertl scopes first being used in Korea ! But as you said, they were the most effective in Korea, so maby thats why it wasnt worth mensioning its perfomance in WW2 ! :D

Yes your right, I was refering to the M1 Ball -172gr- wich actually was better. The M2 Ball had range problems, and also wasnt as accurate as the Boat-tail M1 Ball.

KBO

7. liang

liang New Member

via TanksinWW2
    But according to a TV documentary, he did killed Major Konig in a duel. I am not sure if he was as fortunate with his love life as depicted in the Hollywood movie.

8. Christian Ankerstjerne

Christian Ankerstjerne Member

via TanksinWW2
    It would have been difficult for him to kill Major Konig, as there naver was any person of that name, and the character is entirely fictional. Never trust TV documentaries, they more often than not are wrong.

Christian

9. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    "I just watched enemy at the gates...... That was his story"

I didn't actually see the movie, but at 15 I have read the book twice. Zeitzev was a small part of the battle. He did train other snipers, but he was just as big a hero as people like "Pavlov" who held in a house for the whole battle with a small number of men. They called it "Pavlov's House".

My father says that the movie of enemy at the gates was terrible. The russians were shown doing stupid things as a whole, which they didn't do. Hollywood also only shows the sniping battles of Zeitzev. Hollywood is also known to up-play stuff alot. you give them an inch, they take 20 miles. Read the book. Its really good.

10. McLaren

McLaren New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I read a book called Stalingrad. The writer said that Zaitsev did live and he was very good. The writter is from USA or England. So i dont know who to belive :D

11. Canadian_Super_Patriot

Canadian_Super_Patriot recruit

via TanksinWW2
    and plus the actor who portrayed vassili zaitzev(jude law) looked nothing like the real zaitzev

12. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    and heres the jude law in "Enemy at the Gates"

13. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    I think guerilla combat especially snipers were the reason the soviets won at Stalingrad , because the german army couldn't adapt to the guerilla warfare the soviets were waging . :) :kill: and plus the extreme manpower the soviets had , so they just kept reinforcing their losses , while the germans didn't have this ability , plus if the city fell the U.S.S.R fell, so they were fanatical. :bang:

14. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
  15. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2

it wasnt the guerilla warfare it was the encirclement of the germans that did it, ok the soviets did take a large toll of germans in the city but a fair few of the soviet troops in stalingrad had no training and where told to go out find some ammo and a gun and fight.(this is my personal knowledge so i have know sources on this to make it deffinate)

16. Canadian_Super_Patriot

via TanksinWW2
    yeah , the encirculment was the main reason but the guerilla combat was a big factor in pushing the germans out out of stalingrad , and plus the guerilla combat severely demoralized the germans

17. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Basically, the Germans were well trained in 'open' warfare, and suffered accordingly in urban warfare in an unfamiliar city.
    Though the sheer stubbornness of the Soviet troops should not be ignored.

18. Wspauldo12

Wspauldo12 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The German were very bad at warfare when it wasn't in the open. Remove the mobility and support factors and they didn't always do so good.

One thing the house to house tactic does, is neutralize things like the Luftwaffe, and artillery. The bombs and shells kill more germans than russian, and create even better hiding places. They cities also made Panzers hard to use. Tanks in cities are known to often become fire traps. You can kill a tank alot easier in a city than in the open. Add that to good generalship, fanatic rasistance, hundreds of snipers, T-34s going straight into battle from the factory, crazy russians in general, the winter, the pocket, and some other aspects, and the Germans were utterly screwed.

19. romer

romer New Member

via TanksinWW2
    my opinion for this topic. A few months ago ( maybe 8 months) I saw a documentary film about heroes of WWII, espacially russian heroes. There was a Vasilli Zaitsev :D. Hero of ZSSR. He still alive. A story about him is true, but there are some mistakes. The Germans snipers were not in the Stalingrad. At the movie is german sniper.

20. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi Romer, welcome to the forum!

What do you think was his influence on the battle?