Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vasili Zaitsev(sp??)

Discussion in 'World War 2' started by dave phpbb3, Mar 3, 2005.

1. romer

romer New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thank Roel :D.
    Maybe. If i didn´t see the movie Enemy at the gates, i will never know who was Vasili Zaitsev. He was the hero of Soviet Union. But a lot of Soviets people were too heroes. Some of them were a good pilots, tank commanders, privates, commanders. etc...
    Yes, He was influence on the battle.

2. sovietsniper

sovietsniper New Member

via TanksinWW2
    read the book russias heroes by albert axell amasins storys about snipers corrsaks siberians and a lot more

im named after vassili( soviet sniper )

3. JJJ

JJJ New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think the movie was trying to make the point that Zaitsev's actions inspired the simple Russian peasants in the Soviet army to stand up to the Germans and see they were not invincible. It wasn't his deeds so much as the example they set for the other soldiers. This improved the morale of the Soviet troops and their fortunes on the field. As Khrushchev (Bob Hoskins in a great performance) said in the movie "I want our boys to stop running and shitting in their pants!" or something like that. The film also mentions that the influence of the professional army was restored but I wonder if that was at the expense of the political commissars attached to each unit?

Anyway, by keeping the Germans busy in Stalingrad for a few extra months it bought the Soviets time to train and equip new forces which unleashed the real killer blow which was the encirclement later on in the winter.